It's a Manchester derby, but Hackney will be the winner
THERE s a Manchester derby in the north-west tomorrow (Friday) night and their Hackney based promoters can t lose, writes PHIL RAVITZ. The British lightweight title fight, for the currently vacant crown, takes place at the Robin Park Sports Arena, Wigan,
THERE's a Manchester derby in the north-west tomorrow (Friday) night and their Hackney based promoters can't lose, writes PHIL RAVITZ.
The British lightweight title fight, for the currently vacant crown, takes place at the Robin Park Sports Arena, Wigan, tomorrow evening and it's an-Manchester affair.
Lee Meager, will be the boxer more on home ground, when he attempts to win the title for a second time. He's from Tyldesley, a former mining area just east of Wigan and is trained in Hackney by promoters Hennessy Sports' senior trainer former British light-middleweight champion Robert McCracken.
In the other corner, is John Murray, the unbeaten prospect from Longsight on the East side of Manchester, who hasn't lost in 24 contests and won a WBC youth title two years ago.
You may also want to watch:
He's trained up in Manchester by Joe Gallagher, but spends the last six weeks before all fights, putting the final touches to his preparation at Hennessy Sports' Curtain Road gym in Shoreditch.
Meager formerly held the title two years ago, when he stopped the Bethnal Green based Scot Dave Stewart, but lost it in his first defence to Norfolk's Jon Thaxton. It was Thaxton who relinquished the title a month ago to create the chance for Meager and Murray to meet. Thaxton is also a Hennessy Sports promoted boxer.
- 1 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 2 Chinese dumpling house voted top restaurant by readers
- 3 Scouts roll out new early years Squirrels programme across east London
- 4 Delivery couriers boycott Dalston McDonald's
- 5 McDonald's boycott backed by Diane Abbott, Hackney MP
- 6 Thousands oppose Stoke Newington Church Street bus gate
- 7 Home of the metre-long pizza opens in Finsbury Park
- 8 Hackney Wick's Lord Napier pub opens its doors after 26 years
- 9 Hackney acid attack: Man charged over 2019 assault which left two with life-changing injuries
- 10 'Hackney is still building', says mayor on future affordable housing
Lee Meager told the Gazette: "I've sparred with John a number of times both up in Manchester and down here at the Curtain Road gym. It will be interesting contest, but I believe I can be the first boxer to take a decision off John.''
Hennessy Sports are, naturally, promoting and the bout will be screened on Sky Sports' Friday Fight Night series.