King Louis claims second London title
- Credit: Archant
Lion ABC’s Louis Isaacs picked up his second London title as he beat Danny Barrett (Hooks) to reach the quarter-finals of the NABC Championships.
Isaacs added the 60kg crown to his Schools’ championship – but he had to do it the hard way, boxing twice in the London divisional competition at Harlow Greyhound Stadium.
The Lion boxer came up against A Ramadin (Dale Youth) in the semi-final and proved too strong as he backed his opponent up on the ropes, catching him with shots to the head and body to take a unanimous decision.
Waiting for Isaacs in the final was Barrett, an opponent with a height and reach advantage but, despite that, the Lion boxer took control of the contest from the start.
Isaacs managed to get under Barrett’s long jab, reducing the distance between them, and caught him with hooks to both head and body to take a majority decision and progress to the last eight.
You may also want to watch:
However, there was disappointment for the other Lion representatives, with Billy Underwood losing a unanimous decision to Zac Chelli (Dale Youth) in their semi-final clash.
Max Farrugia was also defeated on a unanimous decision as he went out in the final against Joe Kelleher (Repton).
- 1 Hackney tenant who was left 'terrified' for years reaches court settlement
- 2 Lower Clapton blaze damages maisonette
- 3 Hackney reviewing whether court ruling impacts low-traffic neighbourhoods
- 4 Police issue fines worth £15,000 after suspected illegal rave in Hackney
- 5 Empty Hoxton car parks and garages to be turned into homes
- 6 Community lifelines: Volunteer 'superheroes' feed Hackney people in need
- 7 Parents raise thousands for home-learning supplies in Hackney and London
- 8 Pictures: Scenes in Islington and Hackney after snowfall blankets London
- 9 Sawing-in-half trick reaches century since first show in Finsbury Park
- 10 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
Islington’s former Lion trainer Joe Taylor has announced he is staging a charity amateur show at Urban Kings gym, Kings Cross, on Saturday October 26.
However, the Hoxton club have had to cancel their open show, which was scheduled for Saturday.