Hackney’s Lungu crowned national champion
- Credit: Archant
Hackney hope impressed to claim crown in Manchester
Hackney light welterweight Oriance Lungu is a national champion after winning her final at the England Boxing National Elite Championships.
Fighting at 64kg, Lungu took on Birtley rival Hannah Shield, who looked to cut down the distance to her opponent from the off.
The first round was close with Lungu, representing Haringey Police, just edged it with the better eye-catching blows.
The second round saw Lungu control proceedings with a string of left jabs and straight rights.
You may also want to watch:
In the final round, Lungu started well, but soon began to tire and was put under pressure by Shield.
Thankfully Lungu was able to weather the storm, before being awarded the win by split decision.
- 1 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 2 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 3 Campaigners to protest at GP surgeries as outrage grows over US takeover
- 4 Broken De Beauvoir Estate lift saw man "bump" wife in wheelchair down stairs
- 5 Hackney police commander calls on community to "play its part" in crime prevention
- 6 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 7 ‘We are still human’: homeless households speak out over living conditions
- 8 Calls for black women's voices to also be heard in light of Sarah Everard death
- 9 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 10 Newington Green's Meeting House to stream concert series for Mary Wollstonecraft's 262nd Birthday
It was a brilliant success for Lungu as she clinched the national crown in front of a good crowd in Manchester.
And the Hackney hope will look to build on that national success with a blossoming boxing career in the coming years.