Hackney’s Lungu crowned national champion
- Credit: Archant
Hackney hope impressed to claim crown in Manchester
Hackney light welterweight Oriance Lungu is a national champion after winning her final at the England Boxing National Elite Championships.
Fighting at 64kg, Lungu took on Birtley rival Hannah Shield, who looked to cut down the distance to her opponent from the off.
The first round was close with Lungu, representing Haringey Police, just edged it with the better eye-catching blows.
The second round saw Lungu control proceedings with a string of left jabs and straight rights.
You may also want to watch:
In the final round, Lungu started well, but soon began to tire and was put under pressure by Shield.
Thankfully Lungu was able to weather the storm, before being awarded the win by split decision.
- 1 Residents' parking spaces removed for Church Street LTN
- 2 Hackney Half runners prepare for the fitness festival weekend
- 3 Hackney's pie and mash house son featured on MasterChef
- 4 New free map reveals the best walking routes in Hackney and Islington
- 5 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 6 Hackney's Liam Dillion aims for vacant English super-featherweight title
- 7 Residents' thoughts on Stoke Newington Church Street LTN
- 8 Still no justice for Hackney flat party stabbing victim Elyon Poku
- 9 McDonald's boycott backed by Diane Abbott, Hackney MP
- 10 Thousands oppose Stoke Newington Church Street bus gate
It was a brilliant success for Lungu as she clinched the national crown in front of a good crowd in Manchester.
And the Hackney hope will look to build on that national success with a blossoming boxing career in the coming years.