Hackney’s Lungu crowned national champion
- Credit: Archant
Hackney hope impressed to claim crown in Manchester
Hackney light welterweight Oriance Lungu is a national champion after winning her final at the England Boxing National Elite Championships.
Fighting at 64kg, Lungu took on Birtley rival Hannah Shield, who looked to cut down the distance to her opponent from the off.
The first round was close with Lungu, representing Haringey Police, just edged it with the better eye-catching blows.
The second round saw Lungu control proceedings with a string of left jabs and straight rights.
You may also want to watch:
In the final round, Lungu started well, but soon began to tire and was put under pressure by Shield.
Thankfully Lungu was able to weather the storm, before being awarded the win by split decision.
- 1 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 2 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 3 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 4 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 5 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 6 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 7 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 8 Covid-safe shared workspaces in Hackney on flexibility without formalities
- 9 Hackney Council cyberattack: Stolen data published on the dark web
- 10 Lockdown: Thirteen card players busted by police in Hackney social club
It was a brilliant success for Lungu as she clinched the national crown in front of a good crowd in Manchester.
And the Hackney hope will look to build on that national success with a blossoming boxing career in the coming years.