Hackney’s Lungu crowned national champion
- Credit: Archant
Hackney hope impressed to claim crown in Manchester
Hackney light welterweight Oriance Lungu is a national champion after winning her final at the England Boxing National Elite Championships.
Fighting at 64kg, Lungu took on Birtley rival Hannah Shield, who looked to cut down the distance to her opponent from the off.
The first round was close with Lungu, representing Haringey Police, just edged it with the better eye-catching blows.
The second round saw Lungu control proceedings with a string of left jabs and straight rights.
You may also want to watch:
In the final round, Lungu started well, but soon began to tire and was put under pressure by Shield.
Thankfully Lungu was able to weather the storm, before being awarded the win by split decision.
- 1 Arsenal's Leah Williamson captains England to win over North Macedonia
- 2 Joe Gallen full of praise for O's forwards in Bristol Rovers victory
- 3 Leyton Orient seal first away win of the season at Bristol Rovers
- 4 Chinese dumpling house voted top restaurant by readers
- 5 Orient aiming to climb the table with first away win of the season
- 6 Delivery couriers boycott Dalston McDonald's
- 7 'Hackney is still building', says mayor on future affordable housing
- 8 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 9 Complaints about noise neighbours soared in Hackney during the pandemic
- 10 Two of the best boozers in Hackney, voted for by readers
It was a brilliant success for Lungu as she clinched the national crown in front of a good crowd in Manchester.
And the Hackney hope will look to build on that national success with a blossoming boxing career in the coming years.