Match of the Marsh: Albion shoot down Zeppelin in the cup
Jubilee Cup holders too strong for brave Division One outfit.
MILLWALL ALBION began the defence of the Jubilee Cup with hard-fought 2-0 win over a gutsy Zeppelin side on Sunday.
Albion have only been in the league for three years, but completed a league and cup double for the past two, led by their manager Mark Hart since playing under-eights football 12 years ago.
Second half goals from Ryan Jenkins and Harry Haley sealed the win and their progress to Round Two in a match which was far from easy for Millwall, who took on a resilient Zeppelin side one division below them.
“I was pleased with the win because it was a tough match against a side who played really well in the first half,” boss Hart said.
You may also want to watch:
“Laurie Hawkes came in for us at centre half and was really impressive. He is only 17 but he played really well, while the two in the middle of the park controlled the game.
“We were under the cosh in the first 35 minutes or so, but they could not maintain their energy levels and we took advantage of that.”
- 1 Lower Clapton restaurant to hold free meals event for struggling people
- 2 Jealous Dalston murderer stabbed victim through his heart with scissors
- 3 Hackney mother seeks compensation after living with mice infestation
- 4 Hackney tenant who was left 'terrified' for years reaches court settlement
- 5 Olympic boxer joins fight to make vegetable poverty history in Hackney
- 6 Hackney Half marathon to go ahead amid uncertain Covid restrictions
- 7 Stamford Hill singer says Hackney people helped him on creative path
- 8 Tributes paid to Hackney sports hero and coach Lloyd Cowan
- 9 Lower Clapton blaze damages maisonette
- 10 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
It was an opinion echoed by Leon Ryan, Zeppelin player/manager on a Sunday and Bethnal Green United midfielder Saturday.
“We hit the bar three times and had so many other chances, but the ball just wouldn’t go in,” Ryan moaned.
“I know they are a good side but I’m not pleased with losing because I have so much confidence in my side and I believe we can win every game we play.
“We are a completely new team, I want us to win the league, we are second and I think we can be champions.”
His counterpart Hart is just as confident about his side’s chances of challenging for honours.
“We are going for the treble this season,” Hart said. We are in a few cups and still have a chance in the league, it’s obtainable.”
Millwall: Blundell 7, Harran 7, Sonny 7, Hawkes 9*, Wisewell 8, Ali 7, Haley 8, Hart 8, Burhar 7, Jenkins 7, Hart 7.
Zeppelin: Daley 7, Hill 6, Forward 9*, O’Brien 7, Sabroache 6, Lanin 6, Ryan 7, Guidiar 7, Brennan 7, Benjamin 7, O’Hara 9.