Match of the Marsh: Homerton Rangers begin season with convincing win

Stratford Juniors 2 Homerton Rangers 4

Homerton Rangers secretary Rohan Omard was delighted with his side’s opening-day win against Stratford Juniors on Sunday.

In Stratford Juniors’ first game in the Premier Division since their promotion from Division One, Omard’s men proved too hot to handle and ran out 4-2 winners thanks to second-half goals from Dwain Marson, Quincy Roberts, Rheaz Orantez and Tony Cookey.

“It was a good result for us,” said Omard.

“Although I must say, ever since we joined the league they always seem to give us a hard start and give us difficult games to start our season.

“We just don’t let it bother us and we do our talking on the pitch.

“I don’t know if the league want us to get beat or what, but we refuse to lose.”

Most Read

Despite the final scoreline, the game began in an even manner as both sides showed early season nerves.

However, Homerton Rangers soon began to take control and saw two goals disallowed in quick succession by the referee.

“We had two goals disallowed in the first half, which was unbelievable,” added Omard.

“One of the decisions I could half understand, but the other was diabolical. The referee needs to be reassessed.”

With both efforts ruled out, the score remained 0-0 at the interval.

However, Homerton Rangers took just five minutes of the second half to break the deadlock when Marson scored the first goal of the game.

“Dwain was tireless throughout the game,” said Omard.

“He scored both of the disallowed goals, but he didn’t let it bother him.

“He just kept his head down and carried on working and eventually got his just rewards with a goal that really set us on our way.”

Following Marson’s strike, Homerton extended their advantage to two goals just moments later, through Roberts.

However, the promoted side refused to give up in their first Premier Division clash and soon replied to bring the score to 2-1.

With the pressure now on the Homerton Rangers defence, it was once again breached by Stratford Juniors, who equalised to make the score 2-2.

As the half wore on, Homerton Rangers grew stronger and Omard revealed he was confident of retaking the lead.

“We had too much for them on the day,” he said.

“All credit to Stratford Juniors, they didn’t give up, but we played really well as a team.”

Goals from Orantez and Cookey wrapped up the win for Homerton Rangers, who now face Reama in their next game this Sunday.

“We have seen that Reama won 9-2 last weekend,” said Omard. “We are expecting a tough game, as they all are in this league.

“But we will not fear anyone and we will take on any team.

“Our problem in previous seasons has been inconsistent defending, which has cost us games.

“But we have new defenders now that seem to be gelling well. I hope it stays that way.”