Match of the Marsh: William Fitt Lions roar past league leaders
Concordia beaten 4-1 by Webster’s men
William Fitt Lions boss Matthew Webster was proud of his players, after they defeated top-of-the-league Concordia on Sunday, and has targeted promotion for his side in next year’s campaign.
Webster’s men twice suffered narrow losses to Concordia earlier in the season, having thrown away winning positions in both games and the Lions boss was very pleased to have finally beaten the league leaders.
“It’s a great result for us and I’m really chuffed that we have managed to beat them,” he said.
“We actually aren’t the best of friends with Concordia, so it is great to finally get one over on them, and show the league that we know how to play football.”
You may also want to watch:
William Fitt took an early lead through Adam Murphy with a sweet volley from inside the box.
The midfielder then added a second with a strong header from a corner before Concordia pulled a goal back just before half time.
- 1 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 2 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 3 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 4 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 5 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 6 New Exhibition celebrates Hackney scenes
- 7 Hackney welcomes back eager gym-goers and swimmers
- 8 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 9 Delivery service helps local shops in Hackney, Islington and Tower Hamlets
- 10 New photography book celebrates Hackney’s residents of all ages
In the second half, Murphy’s midfield partner Tom Simon, put his name on the scoresheet with a spectacular bullet-like shot from outside the area, restoring his side’s two-goal advantage.
With 25 minutes left to play, Toyan Wedderburn then secured the points for William Fitt in the most peculiar fashion.
The striker caught the Concordia goalkeeper in possession and tackled him, sending the ball into the net and wrapping up a convincing win for his side.
“I have always known that we could perform like this,” revealed Webster.
“We have the best defensive record in the league, and once again the back four were fantastic today, along with the midfield pairing of Murphy and Simon.
“Too often this season we have failed to score, but that wasn’t the case against Concordia.
“We have beaten all the sides below us but have struggled against the top teams. This result shows what we can do.”
As the season draws to a close, the Lions boss remains confident of what his side can achieve in next year’s campaign.
“We are aiming for promotion,” Webster reveals. “We beat a Premier Division team in the cup, which I believeshows the quality we have as a squad.
“We do love going on a good cup run and we have promised a lot but failed to deliver. That changes from now.”
William Fitt Lions: D Webster 8, Kielty 8, Hurley 8, Finney 8, Ferris 8, Peters 8 (M Webster), Murphy 9, Simon 9, Hearty 8 (Downey), Marshall 8, Wedderburn 9.