Matthew into final as hard work pays off
Matthew Chanda from the Crown and Manor Club in Hoxton has reached the final of the ABA Novice Senior Championships
MATTHEW Chanda from the Crown and Manor Club in Hoxton has reached the final of the ABA Novice Senior Championship Class B 57kgs.
In the quarter-final last week, held at the Riverside Youth Prospect Club in Bristol, the Hackney-based boxer stopped Duane Winter, the West Counties Champion from the Empire ABC in Bristol, in the second round.
Chanda took control from the opening bell, pushing forward with non-stop pressure. A combination of punches to the body floored Winters towards the end of the round, and it was much the same in the second as another bodyshot put Winter down again. This was followed by some heavy head punches, by which time the referee has seen enough and called it off.
In the semi-final last Sunday afternoon at the Earlfield ABC Gym in South London, Chanda was up against Golden Ring ABC's Adam Cutler, notching up another second round victory.
You may also want to watch:
Once again he took control of the contest against his much taller opponent, who also happened to be a southpaw.
A bodypunch towards the end of the first round from a left hook took the wind out of Cutler, and in the second round another left hook to the body left him reeling once again, prompting the referee to stop the fight.
- 1 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 4 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 5 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 6 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 7 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 8 Garden of Lament, Covid, Ramadan, homing cats and Islamophobia
- 9 Delivery service helps local shops in Hackney, Islington and Tower Hamlets
- 10 Hoxton restaurant showcases menus by New City College student chefs
Trainer Steve Kipps told the Gazette: "Matthew did all the things which I asked him to do - he has been training hard for this tournament and it's all come together for him. This was his best win so far."
The final takes place on Sunday at the Festival Hall, Kirkby in Ashfield, Notts.
l James Arlane, from the Lion Club in Hoxton, outpointed Fitzroy Lodge's Pop Khan on a majority decision at Fitzroy Lodge's Dinner Show at the Hilton Hotel in Park Lane on Wednesday.