Middlesex County Football League Premier Division: Sporting Hackney nick win over FC Assyria thanks to goalkeeper Nick Brown
- Credit: Archant
Peter Harrington pleased with victory, but warns talented squad to improve their concentration after nearly throwing away three-goal lead
Sporting Hackney survived a late comeback to claim all three points over Middlesex County Football League Premier Division rivals FC Assyria.
Peter Harrington’s team were undebted to goalkeeper Nick Brown after a man of the match display against the leaders.
The Parrots took the lead after 20 minutes when Paul Barry finished off a smart move inside the area.
Assyria should have levelled soon after when they were awarded a penalty, but Brown made an excellent save down to his right.
You may also want to watch:
Hackney made the most of their let-off to double their advantage soon after when Jon Green fired in from 10-yards.
It remained 2-0 until the break and both teams could sense the next goal was crucial, which contributed towards a tense opening period following the restart.
- 1 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 2 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 3 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 4 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 5 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 6 Hackney resident urges women to consider careers in construction
- 7 New photography book celebrates Hackney’s residents of all ages
- 8 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 9 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 10 Hackney writer creates web series to deter young people from "street life"
With 70 minutes played, the third goal of the match occurred and it went to Parrots, as Joe Alonso headed in from a corner.
Assyria looked well beaten, but were handed a lifeline 10 minutes from time when Hackney switched off.
The nerves began to get the better of the Parrots after and the leaders grabbed another back to set up a tense finale.
With the seconds running out, Assyria created one last chance, but Brown pulled off a stunning save to give Hackney all three points and a tense 3-2 victory.
Harrington said: “For 70 minutes we were fantastic, but we must learn how to kill games off.
“We thought it was won at 3-0 and nearly let two points slip. We let Assyria back into it due to a lack of concentration and we must improve this part of our game”
Sporting Hackney remain unbeaten and joint-top of the table with their rivals after triumphing in this five-goal thriller last weekend.