Mile End bring Eagles down to earth to reach cup semi-finals

Mile End (yellow/blue) beat Eagles 4-2 in the Jack Walpole Cup. Pic: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo

Mile End (yellow/blue) beat Eagles 4-2 in the Jack Walpole Cup. Pic: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo - Credit: Archant

Mile End are through to the semi-finals of the Jack Walpole Cup after a hard-fought 4-2 victory against Division Four side Eagles.

Ricky Edwards opened the scoring for Mile End before Rory Shiggins equalised, but Jack Davey’s 40-yard free-kick and a further strike by Lee Smith put End 3-1 ahead.

Carl Mullins reduced the deficit with a fine solo goal, beating the offside trap to score, but Smith netted his second in the closing stages to see his side through.

Highfield are also into the next round, advancing via a 7-6 penalty shoot-out win against Shakespeare following a thrilling 5-5 draw.

Shakespeare’s Matty Gulfer scored a hat-trick – building on goals from Troy Deering and Corbin Harrison – but Highfield responded to send the game to a shoot-out.

A brace each for Sheldon Alfonso Sammy Anjorin and another from Tope Delfo set up a battle of nerves from the spot, and it was Highfield who progressed.

In the Jack Morgan Cup, Wojak Sunday beat FC Stepney 3-0 with goals from Lee Hall and two strikes from Abdeen Abdul.

Most Read

Tommy Flynn manager Andy Benskin made two inspired substitutions as David Adesina and Darryl Morston both came off the bench to score in the 2-1 victory over Regent’s Park, who had taken the lead through Martin Pellummy.

Delta Athletic beat in-form Top Red 7-6 on penalties, with the tie ending 1-1 after extra-time. Nyron Dyer scored for Delta but Gabriel Morrison equalised for Red to set up the shoot-out.

The final slot in the semi-finals was taken up by Hacimac after their resounding 6-2 win over Black Borough. Sheldon Merritt scored four while Caeleb Tomlin added a brace, meaning Mohamed Kamara and Mitchell Carter’s strikes for Borough were mere consolations.

In the Hackney and Leyton Junior Cup, Wenby Rodriguez put Birkbeck Orient in front only for Wenlock Arms to score four through Senna Daniel, Harry Smith, Joshua Butt and Nick Sherrell in a 4-1 success for the Islington side.

In the Hackney & Leyton League Premier Division, FC Bartlett missed the chance to go top after a 3-2 loss to struggling Mustard. Michael Carlin, Ryom Hassan and Dean Phillips scored for Mustard to move them to within a point of safety.

Rivera beat Tottenham Phoenix 4-2 with two goals apiece by Oraldo Kola and Elton Dervishaj. Top scorer Elliot Crosby responded with a brace for the Phoenix.

Young London Meteors edged a close game 2-1 against fellow mid-table side FC Niva thanks to goals from Richard Owusu and James Donker.

In Division One, El Valiente recorded their first win of the season after Matt Guidera, Aaron Phillips, Aaron Marson and Jordan Head all scored in a 4-0 victory over Athletico Angels.

Jo Orey, Phillip Wroe and Toby Cannon were all on target as Bristow City beat Hackney Allstars 3-2 to move one point off the promotion places, and two goals from Marcus Redford were enough for Dynamics to defeat Birkbeck Orient A 2-0.

There was an 11-goal thriller in Division Two as BG United saw off newly-improved Quinine 6-5, thanks in part to a hat-trick from Hristo Andonov.

Kiril Petrov, Krasimir Kamboshev and Ivan Ivanov were also on target for United, who shipped five goals themselves through braces from Dave Anderson and Jonah James and a further effort from Chris Walsh.

Elsewhere, Boroughs United beat Jack Barry 2-0 with goals from David Frost and Abraham Udofia.

Boston Celtics remain top of Division Three after beating ELE FC 3-2 thanks to two goals from Ricky Price and another by Nathan Skelton.

Bocca came from a goal down to beat Football Club 22 4-1 with goals from Kurt Faucet, Tim Lineham, Brad Taylor and Jack Spellman.

South London Sharks beat Gladstone Wanderers 5-2 with goals from Brett Zimmerman, Dan Smith, Andy Stockbridge, Luke Burnett and Todd Goodyear, while FC BKT overcame Waltham Forest after a Wilson Mendes double cancelled out Sean Connelly’s opener.

Bethune beat Eastway Olympia 6-1 in Division Four to go third with braces for Charlie Cox, Ricky Hanmore and Anthony Gardner, while goals from Sertan Hassan, Keith de Bordes and Conrad Mullins were not enough to save Woodford Rovers from a 6-3 defeat to Bow Badgers.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter