Ohara Davies retains title after stunning third-round stoppage of Derry Mathews
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Hackney’s super-lightweight Ohara Davies retained his WBC Silver Belt at the O2 Arena – stretching his unbeaten record to 15.
The former Repton Boxing Club man beat Liverpool’s Derry Mathews with a third-round TKO.
Mathews, a former British Champion and world title challenger, announced his retirement after the fight.
Both boxers started throwing tentative left jabs. But once Davies found his range, the contest suddenly came to life.
The third round was brutal for Mathews with Davies unleashing a number of hard hooks to both head and body.
You may also want to watch:
But it was uppercuts that did the damage, dropping Mathews to the canvas three times in the round.
That was enough for referee Victor Loughlin to stop the fight five seconds short of the bell.
- 1 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 2 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 3 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 4 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 5 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 6 Stoke Newington School looks to raise £60K for student laptops
- 7 Covid-safe shared workspaces in Hackney on flexibility without formalities
- 8 Homerton High Street attack: Man in his 50s stabbed in the back
- 9 Homerton Hospital says 'stay home' after 'major incident' declared
- 10 Lockdown: Thirteen card players busted by police in Hackney social club
Speaking to the Gazette, Davies said: “He was a good name to have on my record and all the hard work in the gym and running around the streets of Hackney has paid off.
“To be honest I found him a lot easier than I expected.”
Stoke Newington’s heavyweight Olympian, Lawrence Okolie, has turned professional.
The 24-year-old, who reached the quarter-finals in Rio, will box at the cruiserweight level having been signed by Eddie Hearn Matchroom.
His first fight is scheduled for March 25.