Owusu hat-trick rescues cup holders against Mile End

Action from the Hackney & Leyton Sunday League Junior Cup tie between Top Red (red) and Eastway Olym

Action from the Hackney & Leyton Sunday League Junior Cup tie between Top Red (red) and Eastway Olympia. Pic: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO - Credit: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO

Richard Owusu was the saviour for Young London Meteors, as his hat-trick against Mile End kept the Hackney & Leyton League Premier Division side’s hopes of retaining the Dickie Davies Cup alive.

Shane Joseph scored twice for Mile End to leave the game locked at 2-2 after 90 minutes, but the cup holders eventually prevailed 4-3 after extra-time with Owusu stealing the show.

Meteors were joined in the fourth round by Tottenham Phoenix after a double from Jerome Anglin and a further strike from Menalick Richards helped the Premier Division side to a 3-2 win over FC Haggerston.

Highfield of Division One are also through to the next round after a 4-2 victory over Stratford Athletic, as two goals apiece from Tope Olateju and Jonah Dennison proved too strong for the Division Three outfit.

There was also no sign of a shock between Premier Division side Niva-Unistream and Birkbeck Orient B, as Max Voloshin scored twice in a resounding 7-0 slaughtering of the fifth-tier side.

You may also want to watch:

In the Hackney & Leyton Junior Cup quarter-finals, Jay White scored a late winner to give Chapel United a 2-1 success over South London Sharks. Calum Jones cancelled out Joe Seabrook’s early opener midway through the second half, before White broke Sharks’ hearts.

Sam Velody bagged a brace as Top Red beat Eastway Olympia 3-2 to book their place in the semi-finals. They are joined by Boroughs United of Division Three, who comfortably overcame Maynell 2-0 with goals from Deazle Reid and Jason Fevier.

Most Read

In the Premier Division, FC Bartlett moved further away from the relegation zone with a 7-2 romp over basement side New Kuba.

Temi Abu-Olota scored a hat-trick, while Amor McLean helped himself to two goals in a comfortable outing for Bartlett.

Elsewhere, RL United’s failure to field a team meant Mustard were awarded the victory, closing the gap to leaders Clapton Rangers to eight points.

In Division One, FC Krystal continued their march up the table with an entertaining 6-3 win over Athletico Angels. Petro Sokil’s hat-trick proved decisive, moving unbeaten Krystal up to fourth with several games in hand.

Forest Athletic still lead the way, despite losing 5-4 to Dynamics. Bradley O’Donovan was twice on target for Forest, but a double from Ibrahim Sal helped Dynamics record an unlikely victory.

Heegan are still in the relegation zone after succumbing to a 7-1 loss to Lions FC. Onism Chelba and Darius Motac continued their prolific form in front of goal with hat-tricks apiece while Kevin Crehan completed the rout.

The Lions moved above Hackney All Stars, who lost 4-2 to Riviera. Elton Hyseni, Antmir Barapella and two strikes from Orac Do-Kala ensured Riviera closed the gap on their promotion rivals.

Elsewhere, a brace from John Bray helped Wounded Knee to a 5-3 win over Newcresse FC, keeping their own promotion hopes alive.

Into Division Two, and leaders Bristow City barely got out of first gear in a routine 2-0 victory over winless Jay Cubed, with the league’s top scorer John Smith notching both.

The gap to Angel & Crown is still four points, after the title-chasers won 6-2 against Shoreditch Fire Penguins, while two second-half goals from Ilko Yakimov helped BG United come from behind to record a 2-1 victory over City Fliers.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter