Ozturk beaten by Warburton on professional debut
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
The latest boxing news from Hackney
Former Pedro amateur Celal Ozturk endured a disappointing professional debut as he was stopped in the second round of his super welterweight bout against Gerome Warburton at York Hall on Saturday.
The Hackney lad started brightly with some eye-catching punches in the first round, but it all went downhill from there.
Ozturk walked onto a left hook followed by a right hand in the second round, which dropped him to the canvas.
Though he got up, he never recovered and was soon under attack from Warburton, forcing referee Lee Every to intervene.
You may also want to watch:
There was better news for former Lion amateur Louis Isaacs as he beat super lightweight rival Rhys Saunders on points on the same bill.
There was a new trainer in Isaacs’ corner for the bout with former IBF world cruiserweight champion Glenn McCrory having joined the 21-year old’s team.
- 1 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 2 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 3 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 4 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 5 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 6 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 7 Stoke Newington School looks to raise £60K for student laptops
- 8 Hackney ‘poised’ to undertake school closures after drop in pupil numbers
- 9 Union votes to strike over cuts at Hackney schools
In what turned out to be a tough contest, referee Ian John Lewis scored it 59-55 in Isaacs’ favour.