Ozturk beaten by Warburton on professional debut
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
The latest boxing news from Hackney
Former Pedro amateur Celal Ozturk endured a disappointing professional debut as he was stopped in the second round of his super welterweight bout against Gerome Warburton at York Hall on Saturday.
The Hackney lad started brightly with some eye-catching punches in the first round, but it all went downhill from there.
Ozturk walked onto a left hook followed by a right hand in the second round, which dropped him to the canvas.
Though he got up, he never recovered and was soon under attack from Warburton, forcing referee Lee Every to intervene.
There was better news for former Lion amateur Louis Isaacs as he beat super lightweight rival Rhys Saunders on points on the same bill.
There was a new trainer in Isaacs’ corner for the bout with former IBF world cruiserweight champion Glenn McCrory having joined the 21-year old’s team.
- 1 'Was she rank?': Met apologises for language used during Hackney strip search
- 2 Covid patient numbers at Homerton Hospital with Plan B rules set to lift
- 3 'Catastrophic consequences': Hundreds of unvaccinated could lose work at Homerton Hospital
- 4 Upper Clapton college celebrates recovery after glowing Ofsted report
- 5 Man rushed to hospital following Stoke Newington stabbing
- 6 How often do Londoners cycle to work in each borough?
- 7 Eight drivers arrested and 22 vehicles seized in Stoke Newington crackdown
- 8 Haggerston celebrates the Chinese Lunar New Year
- 9 Revealed: Hackney, Islington and Newham are boroughs with most LTNs
- 10 Shoreditch floral café blooms at new premises in Bethnal Green
In what turned out to be a tough contest, referee Ian John Lewis scored it 59-55 in Isaacs’ favour.