Ozturk beaten by Warburton on professional debut
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
The latest boxing news from Hackney
Former Pedro amateur Celal Ozturk endured a disappointing professional debut as he was stopped in the second round of his super welterweight bout against Gerome Warburton at York Hall on Saturday.
The Hackney lad started brightly with some eye-catching punches in the first round, but it all went downhill from there.
Ozturk walked onto a left hook followed by a right hand in the second round, which dropped him to the canvas.
Though he got up, he never recovered and was soon under attack from Warburton, forcing referee Lee Every to intervene.
You may also want to watch:
There was better news for former Lion amateur Louis Isaacs as he beat super lightweight rival Rhys Saunders on points on the same bill.
There was a new trainer in Isaacs’ corner for the bout with former IBF world cruiserweight champion Glenn McCrory having joined the 21-year old’s team.
- 1 New Aldi opens with help from Hackney pupils and Olympian
- 2 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 3 Five reasons why Dalston is one of the coolest places in the world
- 4 ‘People hit the deck’ - Londoners stunned by fighter jet flyover
- 5 Two taken to hospital and driver arrested after car flips in Hackney
- 6 Planet Organic to open in Broadway Market despite thousands of signatures in protest
- 7 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 8 TfL told to introduce 'pay per mile' charge to motorists
- 9 Woman battered Hackney Wetherspoons with axe as customers hid inside
- 10 Police officers save lives in two sperate emergencies on same shift
In what turned out to be a tough contest, referee Ian John Lewis scored it 59-55 in Isaacs’ favour.