Ozturk beaten by Warburton on professional debut
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
The latest boxing news from Hackney
Former Pedro amateur Celal Ozturk endured a disappointing professional debut as he was stopped in the second round of his super welterweight bout against Gerome Warburton at York Hall on Saturday.
The Hackney lad started brightly with some eye-catching punches in the first round, but it all went downhill from there.
Ozturk walked onto a left hook followed by a right hand in the second round, which dropped him to the canvas.
Though he got up, he never recovered and was soon under attack from Warburton, forcing referee Lee Every to intervene.
You may also want to watch:
There was better news for former Lion amateur Louis Isaacs as he beat super lightweight rival Rhys Saunders on points on the same bill.
There was a new trainer in Isaacs’ corner for the bout with former IBF world cruiserweight champion Glenn McCrory having joined the 21-year old’s team.
- 1 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 2 Students earn scholarships at top schools worth £150,000
- 3 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
- 4 Vacant Grade I-listed Shoreditch church to be restored and revamped
- 5 £5.75m investment agreed for "historic" Clapton leisure centre
- 6 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 7 'It's like toilet', say Dalston residents who have had enough of broken locks, rats and scaffolding
- 8 Dangerously overloaded vans leaving New Spitalfields Market taken off the road
- 9 Hackney residents plan to make noise for more representative voting systems
- 10 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
In what turned out to be a tough contest, referee Ian John Lewis scored it 59-55 in Isaacs’ favour.