Ozturk beaten by Warburton on professional debut
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
The latest boxing news from Hackney
Former Pedro amateur Celal Ozturk endured a disappointing professional debut as he was stopped in the second round of his super welterweight bout against Gerome Warburton at York Hall on Saturday.
The Hackney lad started brightly with some eye-catching punches in the first round, but it all went downhill from there.
Ozturk walked onto a left hook followed by a right hand in the second round, which dropped him to the canvas.
Though he got up, he never recovered and was soon under attack from Warburton, forcing referee Lee Every to intervene.
You may also want to watch:
There was better news for former Lion amateur Louis Isaacs as he beat super lightweight rival Rhys Saunders on points on the same bill.
There was a new trainer in Isaacs’ corner for the bout with former IBF world cruiserweight champion Glenn McCrory having joined the 21-year old’s team.
- 1 South Africa and Indian Covid variants found in Shoreditch and Dalston
- 2 Fatal Gillett Square shooting shines spotlight on crime hotspot
- 3 Patrick Anzy: Two arrests in Dalston fatal shooting investigation
- 4 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 5 Pub managers in Hackney tell how life is since lockdown eased
- 6 What can open in Hackney when lockdown rules ease on May 17?
- 7 Hackney's Miss London makes it to Miss England final
- 8 Man dies after reports of shooting in Dalston
- 9 Dalston shooting victim named by police
- 10 London Fields: Woman's cheekbone fractured in broad daylight attack
In what turned out to be a tough contest, referee Ian John Lewis scored it 59-55 in Isaacs’ favour.