Phillips Idowu confirms he won’t attend Commonwealth Games
Triple jumper withdraws over safety fears.
Victoria Park & Tower Hamlets World champion triple jumper Phillips Idowu has said that he will not take part in the Commonwealth Games in Delhi, India because of fears for his safety.
The world-class athlete would have been a nailed on certainty for a medal but has decided to withdraw.
“Sorry people, but I have children to think about. My safety is more important to them than a medal,” he said on twitter
“I understand people will be disappointed that I will not be competing. I am disappointed.
You may also want to watch:
“If you know me as an athlete you will know these games mean a lot to me. It’s the champs in which I won my first medal.
“All the press about bridges collapsing and 23+ people being hurt, floods and inhabitable living conditions, getting my daughter ready for school this morning and seeing all of that put me off. I can’t afford to risk my safety in the slightest.”
- 1 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 2 Your Paper, Your Voice: We want to hear from you
- 3 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 4 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 5 Roads, Museum of the Home, Living Wage and child exploitation
- 6 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 7 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 8 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 9 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
- 10 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
However, Idowu’s agent Ricky Simms urged the triple jumper to mull things over before making a firm decision.