Phillips Idowu confirms he won’t attend Commonwealth Games
Triple jumper withdraws over safety fears.
Victoria Park & Tower Hamlets World champion triple jumper Phillips Idowu has said that he will not take part in the Commonwealth Games in Delhi, India because of fears for his safety.
The world-class athlete would have been a nailed on certainty for a medal but has decided to withdraw.
“Sorry people, but I have children to think about. My safety is more important to them than a medal,” he said on twitter
“I understand people will be disappointed that I will not be competing. I am disappointed.
You may also want to watch:
“If you know me as an athlete you will know these games mean a lot to me. It’s the champs in which I won my first medal.
“All the press about bridges collapsing and 23+ people being hurt, floods and inhabitable living conditions, getting my daughter ready for school this morning and seeing all of that put me off. I can’t afford to risk my safety in the slightest.”
- 1 Man wanted after alleged sexual offence in Hackney
- 2 Clapton: Hunt for metal pole after man badly injured
- 3 Drug dealer jailed for murder of Jay John after Dalston attack
- 4 Calls to boycott Museum of Home until Geffrye statue falls
- 5 Nuisance drinkers in Hackney to be fined under new order
- 6 Trick or Eat returns to help Hackney Foodbank
- 7 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 8 New Aldi opens with help from Hackney pupils and Olympian
- 9 More developers could lodge proposals for Hackney Central site
- 10 Two taken to hospital and driver arrested after car flips in Hackney
However, Idowu’s agent Ricky Simms urged the triple jumper to mull things over before making a firm decision.