Phillips Idowu confirms he won’t attend Commonwealth Games
Triple jumper withdraws over safety fears.
Victoria Park & Tower Hamlets World champion triple jumper Phillips Idowu has said that he will not take part in the Commonwealth Games in Delhi, India because of fears for his safety.
The world-class athlete would have been a nailed on certainty for a medal but has decided to withdraw.
“Sorry people, but I have children to think about. My safety is more important to them than a medal,” he said on twitter
“I understand people will be disappointed that I will not be competing. I am disappointed.
“If you know me as an athlete you will know these games mean a lot to me. It’s the champs in which I won my first medal.
“All the press about bridges collapsing and 23+ people being hurt, floods and inhabitable living conditions, getting my daughter ready for school this morning and seeing all of that put me off. I can’t afford to risk my safety in the slightest.”
- 1 Call for Hackney Council to refund £200,000 in 'unlawful' fines
- 2 Plumber found guilty of road rage murder of Deliveroo driver
- 3 Two shootings in Hackney as Walthamstow murder probe launched
- 4 Dalston Lane closure after rider taken to hospital
- 5 'Rest in peace child': Tributes paid to teenager stabbed to death
- 6 Left in limbo – traders face silence as lease deadline looms
- 7 All Points East 2022: Gorillaz, Idles line-up and stage times
- 8 Man in 'life-threatening' condition after Hackney shooting
- 9 London Assembly: TfL urged to rethink plans to cut 78 bus routes
- 10 ‘Blimey’: Stoke Newington resident celebrates 109th birthday
However, Idowu’s agent Ricky Simms urged the triple jumper to mull things over before making a firm decision.