Phillips Idowu confirms he won’t attend Commonwealth Games
Triple jumper withdraws over safety fears.
Victoria Park & Tower Hamlets World champion triple jumper Phillips Idowu has said that he will not take part in the Commonwealth Games in Delhi, India because of fears for his safety.
The world-class athlete would have been a nailed on certainty for a medal but has decided to withdraw.
“Sorry people, but I have children to think about. My safety is more important to them than a medal,” he said on twitter
“I understand people will be disappointed that I will not be competing. I am disappointed.
You may also want to watch:
“If you know me as an athlete you will know these games mean a lot to me. It’s the champs in which I won my first medal.
“All the press about bridges collapsing and 23+ people being hurt, floods and inhabitable living conditions, getting my daughter ready for school this morning and seeing all of that put me off. I can’t afford to risk my safety in the slightest.”
- 1 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 2 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 3 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 4 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 5 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 6 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 7 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 8 Hackney author speaks out against stop and search
- 9 Homerton Hospital says 'stay home' after 'major incident' declared
- 10 Lockdown: Thirteen card players busted by police in Hackney social club
However, Idowu’s agent Ricky Simms urged the triple jumper to mull things over before making a firm decision.