Phoenix hit eight against Mile End to open new Hackney & Leyton League campaign

Birkbeck's Mike Long (centre) celebrates his second goal against Shoreditch Fire Penguins. Pic: Gavi

Birkbeck's Mike Long (centre) celebrates his second goal against Shoreditch Fire Penguins. Pic: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO - Credit: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO

Last year’s Hackney & Leyton League Premier Division runners-up Phoenix served notice of their intentions as they began the new campaign with an 8-0 thrashing of Mile End.

A Giovanni Falzone double put Phoenix 2-0 up at half-time and the goals rained in after the break as Ashley Taylor-Forbes and Jamie Killingback both scored twice, with Ade Cole and Tyrone Husbands also on target.

Niva-Unistream also made a winning start as they overcame RL United 3-1, with Costel Tronciu netting a 20-yard volley on 35 minutes before adding a second goal midway through the second half.

Antony White pulled a goal back for RL, but Taras Sukhenak grabbed Niva’s third to seal the points with 10 minutes remaining.

Koolim Ennoviti scored twice, including an eye-catching curler into the top corner, to earn Wounded Knee a 3-0 win over Highfield in Division One. Russell Hughes was also on the scoresheet for Knee.

Mike Long registered a hat-trick for promoted Birkbeck A, who adapted quickly to life in Division Two by beating Shoreditch Fire Penguins 3-0 in an entertaining clash.

League newcomers Borough United began well in Division Three as they beat Football Club 22 5-2, with David Frost and Keeron Pollonats scoring two goals apiece.

Most Read

Jordan Albaster completed Borough’s tally, while Terrell Alleyne and Tom Harney were on the mark for Club 22.

Regent’s Park Rovers made an impressive start as Jack Turny and Dovan Broadhurst gave them a 2-0 lead at half-time against Stratford Athletic, but Asa Hauser reduced the deficit.

Goals from Jack Drinkwater, Max Lonolands and Joe Hanmore ensured that Rovers ran out comfortable winners while, elsewhere in the division, Boston Celtic beat Wenlock Arms 4-2.

Another of the league’s new faces, Waltham Forest United, made an immediate impact as they romped to a 7-1 win against Bow Badgers in Division Four.

Joe McGlynn scored twice, with Jamie Sealy, Peter Grant, Eddie Crocket, Jim Harrison and Roy Gillanders also on target for United. Damen Watt hit the Badgers’ consolation.

In the league’s other game, Birkbeck Orient came from behind to draw 1-1 against Eastway Olympia.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter