Playing for Kicks tournament returns to Shoreditch
- Credit: Archant
Playing for Kicks football tournament is returning to Shoreditch for a second year running this week.
The grassroots women’s football tournament, founded in 2016 by Romance FC as a result of the sheer lack of female run football tournaments, is back and has plenty of new features this time round.
The tournament comes off the back of the Lionesses success and making into the semi finals and a record number of viewers tuning in to watch the Euro’s last month.
Women’s sport has made a huge breakthrough this year showcasing the strength, ambition and undeniable talents of individual athletes and teams worldwide.
However, there is still a lot of groundwork to be done in changing preconceptions.
You may also want to watch:
London-based football team and creative collective Romance FC, formerly known as Boiler Room Ladies FC, has continued to support and promote the many faces of the women’s grassroots game through their pro-feminist approach to football and will be launching an exciting new element to this years Playing For Kicks tournament.
The team saw an opportunity to take on a completely new approach to the way in which women’s football tournaments are portrayed and executed, by creating Playing For Kicks - a safe, fun and inclusive space for women who have love for the game!
- 1 Residents' parking spaces removed for Church Street LTN
- 2 New free map reveals the best walking routes in Hackney and Islington
- 3 Hackney's pie and mash house son featured on MasterChef
- 4 Letter on LTN scheme in Stoke Newington
- 5 Sadiq Khan warns of flood threat to Hackney from climate emergency
- 6 Hackney Half runners prepare for the fitness festival weekend
- 7 Still no justice for Hackney flat party stabbing victim Elyon Poku
- 8 Residents' thoughts on Stoke Newington Church Street LTN
- 9 Thousands oppose Stoke Newington Church Street bus gate
- 10 Two of the best boozers in Hackney, voted for by readers
The tournament will see 12 respected grassroots teams from London, Essex and Paris whose mindset and community spirit hold them high as perfect contenders.
Each team will take to the five-a-side pitches to battle it out to be hailed champions of Playing For Kicks 2017.
Expect full-flavoured food from Capish, live DJ sets from Romance FC and friends, Season Zine, XL Recordings, NTS Radio and more.
In conjunction with the tournament, the club will also debut their beginners training session First Love, which is starting this month.
The session will be coached by Romance FC players Amina Khan and Lauren Garner and will provide an intimidation-free zone for absolute beginners to give football a go.
For more information on the tournament visit http://www.romancefc.com.