Playing for Kicks tournament returns to Shoreditch
- Credit: Archant
Playing for Kicks football tournament is returning to Shoreditch for a second year running this week.
The grassroots women’s football tournament, founded in 2016 by Romance FC as a result of the sheer lack of female run football tournaments, is back and has plenty of new features this time round.
The tournament comes off the back of the Lionesses success and making into the semi finals and a record number of viewers tuning in to watch the Euro’s last month.
Women’s sport has made a huge breakthrough this year showcasing the strength, ambition and undeniable talents of individual athletes and teams worldwide.
However, there is still a lot of groundwork to be done in changing preconceptions.
You may also want to watch:
London-based football team and creative collective Romance FC, formerly known as Boiler Room Ladies FC, has continued to support and promote the many faces of the women’s grassroots game through their pro-feminist approach to football and will be launching an exciting new element to this years Playing For Kicks tournament.
The team saw an opportunity to take on a completely new approach to the way in which women’s football tournaments are portrayed and executed, by creating Playing For Kicks - a safe, fun and inclusive space for women who have love for the game!
- 1 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 2 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 3 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 4 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 5 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 6 New photography book celebrates Hackney’s residents of all ages
- 7 New Exhibition celebrates Hackney scenes
- 8 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 9 Hackney welcomes back eager gym-goers and swimmers
- 10 Delivery service helps local shops in Hackney, Islington and Tower Hamlets
The tournament will see 12 respected grassroots teams from London, Essex and Paris whose mindset and community spirit hold them high as perfect contenders.
Each team will take to the five-a-side pitches to battle it out to be hailed champions of Playing For Kicks 2017.
Expect full-flavoured food from Capish, live DJ sets from Romance FC and friends, Season Zine, XL Recordings, NTS Radio and more.
In conjunction with the tournament, the club will also debut their beginners training session First Love, which is starting this month.
The session will be coached by Romance FC players Amina Khan and Lauren Garner and will provide an intimidation-free zone for absolute beginners to give football a go.
For more information on the tournament visit http://www.romancefc.com.