Newby (1, 90)
Leyton Orient F.C
Aaron Drinan (24)
Craig Clay (66)
Leyton Orient held to a draw at Rochdale
- Credit: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo
A 90th minute goal from Alex Newby denied Leyton Orient a win as he nabbed a 2-2 draw for Rochdale.
The home side raced into the lead with the game just 30 seconds old, Corey O'Keeffe heading Liam Kelly's delivery back across the face of goal and Newby nodding home from close range.
But Orient responded positively to the setback and were desperately unlucky when Aaron Drinan met Dan Kemp's cross with a firm header which smashed against the underside of the crossbar before the home defence scrambled clear.
Drinan was not to be denied in the 24th minute, however, again combining with Kemp to race through on goal and fire the ball past Joel Coleman.
The visitors took the lead after 66 minutes when a long throw was partially cleared by Jeriel Dorsett, but Craig Clay met the loose ball on the volley. His execution was low and hard and ran through a crowded box and into the net.
Rochdale levelled in the 90th minute when Kelly's corner was flicked to the back post and Newby converted to complete his brace.
- 1 Operation Mincemeat: Role of Hackney mortuary marked in Colin Firth film
- 2 Great Christmas markets in and around north London
- 3 CCTV: Dog walker helped raped woman, 19, call the police in Hackney
- 4 Homerton LTN to be made permanent despite division among residents
- 5 Protesting workers in wage war with Hackney Council
- 6 Loyal customers given shares in new craft beer company
- 7 Possible travel disruptions for central London this week
- 8 Boxpark reveals plans for Shoreditch rooftop garden
- 9 'It was like a scene from a movie': Hackney man facing jail for 2017 shooting
- 10 Stoke Newington residents go without running water for days