Runners encouraged to book their places at Hackney Half Marathon
- Credit: Archant
The heart of east London will again come to a standstill in a month’s time with the return of the Vitality Run Hackney Half Marathon.
Following the success of the inaugural event in 2014, places have been selling out fast and local runners are now being urged to secure their place at this year’s event on Sunday May 10 to avoid disappointment.
While elite runners will be targeting a personal best, an estimated 35 per cent of entrants have chosen this race, which takes place right on their doorstep, as their first half marathon, due to its flat and friendly terrain.
The Hackney Half displays the very best of the borough’s beautiful green spaces, starting and finishing at Hackney Marshes. The closed-roads course will pass by some of Hackney’s best-kept parks and key landmarks, including the world-famous Hackney Empire as well as a new and improved route through the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park.
Runners at this year’s event can expect huge local support as well as live entertainment along the course, plentiful water stations – and of course a sparkly new medal for 2015.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Jonathan McShane, cabinet member for health, social care and culture at Hackney Council, who was a major driving force behind setting up the event, said: “We’re thrilled to be holding the second Hackney Half Marathon.
“Ever since the 2014 race, residents have been telling me how much they enjoyed having a half marathon on their doorstep.
- 1 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 2 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 3 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 4 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 5 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 6 Stoke Newington School looks to raise £60K for student laptops
- 7 Homerton High Street attack: Man in his 50s stabbed in the back
- 8 Covid-safe shared workspaces in Hackney on flexibility without formalities
- 9 Homerton Hospital says 'stay home' after 'major incident' declared
- 10 Letters: Christchurch Estate, Cllr Burke, Happy Man Tree and CCTV
“Whether they ran or took to the streets to watch, there was a real buzz about the borough, and I hope this year’s event will be even better. I’ve certainly been training hard and will be aiming to beat my 2014 time!”
For more information on taking part in the Vitality Run Hackney Half Marathon, visit www.runhackney.com.