Sergio Garcia chips in with two
FC Leytonstone 5 LF Olympico 2
Substitute Sergio Garcia chipped in with two goals to drive FC Leytonstone through to the Artec Cup second round.
Despite losing in-form frontman Bradley Williams to injury early on, the home side moved in front when Fesar Rafiq dispossessed an Olympico defender and slotted home.
Defender Kashif Shabbir doubled the advantage when he powered forwards from the halfway line and fired in, but Olympico stunned their hosts with two goals to level before half-time.
After the break though, Daniel Owusu put Leytonstone back in front when he thrashed home Levi Fletcher’s flick-on from Saad Waadia’s cross.
You may also want to watch:
But it wasn’t until 17-year-old Garcia was introduced from the bench that Leytonstone took a stranglehold on the match.
Minutes after his introduction, Garcia received the ball from Owusu and blasted in from 20 yards.
- 1 Man wanted after alleged sexual offence in Hackney
- 2 Clapton: Hunt for metal pole after man badly injured
- 3 Drug dealer jailed for murder of Jay John after Dalston attack
- 4 Calls to boycott Museum of Home until Geffrye statue falls
- 5 Nuisance drinkers in Hackney to be fined under new order
- 6 Trick or Eat returns to help Hackney Foodbank
- 7 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 8 New Aldi opens with help from Hackney pupils and Olympian
- 9 More developers could lodge proposals for Hackney Central site
- 10 Two taken to hospital and driver arrested after car flips in Hackney
And the outcome was assured when the teenager floated a fine effort over the Olympico goalkeeper from outside the box.
“Nothing can diminish the growing sense that, even though this team is undergoing something of a transition, they have the quality to be very serious contenders for the title this season,” said manager Munaf Abhram.
“Nevertheless, the mistakes at the back need to be cut out as it is bringing unnecessary pressure upon the team.
“More communication and composure is required and these things can only be bettered in training.”