Southend Manor 3 Hackney Wick 3: Wick hold nerve to triumph on penalties in Errington Challenge Cup clash
- Credit: Archant
Errington Challenge Cup second round: Southend Manor 3 Hackney Wick 3 (Hackney Wick win 4-2 on penalties)
Hackney Wick progressed to the quarter-finals of the Errington Challenge Cup after beating Essex Senior League rivals Southend Manor on penalties in the second round.
An exciting game between the two divisional rivals was watched by a crowd of 38 at Manor’s Southchurch Park home.
A close-fought first half saw the two teams head into the dressing rooms level at 1-1 at the break.
Neither side could pull away from the other in the second half, with both scoring twice as the game ended 3-3.
You may also want to watch:
The draw meant the need for penalties to decide who would progress to the next round of the Errington Challenge Cup.
Wick held their nerve to triumph 4-2 in the shoot-out, knocking Southend out in the process.
- 1 Delivery couriers boycott Dalston McDonald's
- 2 Chinese dumpling house voted top restaurant by readers
- 3 Two of the best boozers in Hackney, voted for by readers
- 4 Hackney acid attack: Man charged over 2019 assault which left two with life-changing injuries
- 5 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 6 Thousands oppose Stoke Newington Church Street bus gate
- 7 Hackney Wick's Lord Napier pub opens its doors after 26 years
- 8 Hackney's field-to-fork cooking school opens in Lower Clapton
- 9 'Food delivery' youth in suspect Shoreditch drugs bust
- 10 'Hackney is still building', says mayor on future affordable housing
The reward for Tony Ievoli’s side is a tie with local rivals Sporting Bengal United in the quarter-finals.
Hackney will hope to build on their midweek cup win when they entertain FC Romania in the league on Saturday.