Southend Manor 3 Hackney Wick 3: Wick hold nerve to triumph on penalties in Errington Challenge Cup clash
- Credit: Archant
Errington Challenge Cup second round: Southend Manor 3 Hackney Wick 3 (Hackney Wick win 4-2 on penalties)
Hackney Wick progressed to the quarter-finals of the Errington Challenge Cup after beating Essex Senior League rivals Southend Manor on penalties in the second round.
An exciting game between the two divisional rivals was watched by a crowd of 38 at Manor’s Southchurch Park home.
A close-fought first half saw the two teams head into the dressing rooms level at 1-1 at the break.
Neither side could pull away from the other in the second half, with both scoring twice as the game ended 3-3.
You may also want to watch:
The draw meant the need for penalties to decide who would progress to the next round of the Errington Challenge Cup.
Wick held their nerve to triumph 4-2 in the shoot-out, knocking Southend out in the process.
- 1 London's emergency services show support for LTNs
- 2 Hackney remembers Prince Philip after his passing at age 99
- 3 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 4 Community group crowdfunds to turn old Lea valley water depot into wild space
- 5 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 6 Former East Enders actor takes next career step as a film director
- 7 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 8 Godwin Lawson's mum reflects on the ‘hardest call’ after son's fatal stabbing
- 9 "Horrific" extent of River Lea plastic pollution at Hackney Marshes
- 10 Hackney mum left with 'deep scars' after sexual assault at school
The reward for Tony Ievoli’s side is a tie with local rivals Sporting Bengal United in the quarter-finals.
Hackney will hope to build on their midweek cup win when they entertain FC Romania in the league on Saturday.