Southend Manor 3 Hackney Wick 3: Wick hold nerve to triumph on penalties in Errington Challenge Cup clash
- Credit: Archant
Errington Challenge Cup second round: Southend Manor 3 Hackney Wick 3 (Hackney Wick win 4-2 on penalties)
Hackney Wick progressed to the quarter-finals of the Errington Challenge Cup after beating Essex Senior League rivals Southend Manor on penalties in the second round.
An exciting game between the two divisional rivals was watched by a crowd of 38 at Manor’s Southchurch Park home.
A close-fought first half saw the two teams head into the dressing rooms level at 1-1 at the break.
Neither side could pull away from the other in the second half, with both scoring twice as the game ended 3-3.
You may also want to watch:
The draw meant the need for penalties to decide who would progress to the next round of the Errington Challenge Cup.
Wick held their nerve to triumph 4-2 in the shoot-out, knocking Southend out in the process.
- 1 Lower Clapton restaurant to hold free meals event for struggling people
- 2 Jealous Dalston murderer stabbed victim through his heart with scissors
- 3 Hackney mother seeks compensation after living with mice infestation
- 4 Hackney tenant who was left 'terrified' for years reaches court settlement
- 5 Olympic boxer joins fight to make vegetable poverty history in Hackney
- 6 Hackney Half marathon to go ahead amid uncertain Covid restrictions
- 7 Stamford Hill singer says Hackney people helped him on creative path
- 8 Tributes paid to Hackney sports hero and coach Lloyd Cowan
- 9 Lower Clapton blaze damages maisonette
- 10 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
The reward for Tony Ievoli’s side is a tie with local rivals Sporting Bengal United in the quarter-finals.
Hackney will hope to build on their midweek cup win when they entertain FC Romania in the league on Saturday.