Southgate recalls two former Tottenham players for Germany and Lithuania clashes
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Two former Spurs players are the surprise inclusions in England’s squad to face Germany and Lithuania.
Jermaine Defoe, now of Sunderland, and Jake Livermore of West Bromwich Albion have both earned recalls in Gareth Southgate’s first squad since being made manager on a permanent basis.
They come in alongside four uncapped players;Michael Keane of Burnely, West Ham United’s Michail Antonio as well as Southampton pair Nathan Redmond and James Ward-Prowse will all be hopeful of winning their first caps.
Defoe’s return comes as both Wayne Rooney and Harry Kane miss out through injury while Livermore’s only previous senior international cap was in a 2-1 victory against Italy in August 2012.
Current Tottenham players Kyle Walker, Dele Alli and Eric Dier are also included.
You may also want to watch:
Arsenal are represented by Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain.
England face Germany in Dortmund on Wednesday in a friendly before hosting Lithuania in a World Cup qualifying match on March 26.
- 1 Students earn scholarships at top schools worth £150,000
- 2 Vacant Grade I-listed Shoreditch church to be restored and revamped
- 3 £5.75m investment agreed for "historic" Clapton leisure centre
- 4 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
- 5 Dangerously overloaded vans leaving New Spitalfields Market taken off the road
- 6 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 7 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 8 'It's like toilet', say Dalston residents who have had enough of broken locks, rats and scaffolding
- 9 Jailed: Cyclist who rode off after fatal collision with 'gentleman', 72
- 10 Hackney residents plan to make noise for more representative voting systems
Squad: Fraser Forster (Southampton), Joe Hart (Torino, on loan from Manchester City), Tom Heaton (Burnley), Ryan Bertrand (Southampton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Nathaniel Clyne (Liverpool), Phil Jones (Manchester United), Michael Keane (Burnley), Luke Shaw (Manchester United), Chris Smalling (Manchester United), John Stones (Manchester City), Kyle Walker (Tottenham Hotspur), Dele Alli (Tottenham Hotspur), Michail Antonio (West Ham United), Ross Barkley (Everton), Eric Dier (Tottenham Hotspur), Adam Lallana (Liverpool), Jesse Lingard (Manchester United), Jake Livermore (West Bromwich Albion), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Nathan Redmond (Southampton), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City), James Ward-Prowse (Southampton), Jermain Defoe (Sunderland), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Jamie Vardy (Leicester City)