Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Anna Filbey joins Celtic on loan
- Credit: PA
Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Anna Filbey has joined Scottish Women's Premiership side Celtic on loan until the end of the season.
Filbey is a former Arsenal youngster and crossed the divide ahead of the 2018-19 season as she helped Spurs win promotion to the Women's Super League.
During the Lilywhites first season in the WSL the Welsh International made 16 appearances in defence alongside Hannah Godfrey but she is a natural defensive midfielder.
In June 2020, Filbey signed a new one year contract at Tottenham however has struggled to break into the starting eleven this season as the Lilywhites are 7th in the WSL table.
Filbey represented England at youth level for the under 17 and the under 19 team but on October, 8 2019 she made her senior international debut for Wales starting in a 1–0 UEFA Women's Euro 2021 qualifying away win over Belarus.
You may also want to watch:
A Tottenham Hotspur statement read on Tuesday morning: "Anna Filbey has joined Celtic on loan for the remainder of the season."
The 21-year-old midfielder has made 21 appearances in our colours after joining from Arsenal in 2018.
- 1 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 4 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 5 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 6 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 7 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 8 Garden of Lament, Covid, Ramadan, homing cats and Islamophobia
- 9 Delivery service helps local shops in Hackney, Islington and Tower Hamlets
- 10 Hoxton restaurant showcases menus by New City College student chefs
Filbey had been linked with a move to fellow WSL side Aston Villa but it never materialised and a move to Celtic was on the cards.
She could be set to make her debut for the Hoops this weekend when Scottish Women's football returns in the Old Firm Derby against Rangers.
Meanwhile former West Ham United Women star Jacynta Galabadaarachchi has also linked up with Celtic signing from Italian side Napoli.
Galabadaarachchi left the Hammers in September 2020 to move to Italy but has decided on a return to the UK after finding game-time limited in Naples.
During her time at West Ham she made 17 appearances in all competitions including 11 in the Women's Super League during the 2019/20 campaign that was curtailed due to the Coronavirus pandemic.
At West Ham in 2019/20 she played 489 minutes creating 14 chances having 9 shots with 2 on target she also made 131 passes with 5 of those being key passes.
Like Filbey the Australian born star could make her debut this weekend (Sunday, February 7) against Rangers in the Scottish Women's Premiership.