Stefan Turner in Hackney writes
I am writing in response to the letter written by Mr S Ansell and published in last week s paper. What does Mr Ansell expect of Leyton Orient FC? Regular Champions League football and an annual top-four Premier League finish? I find it incredible that an
I am writing in response to the letter written by Mr S Ansell and published in last week's paper. What does Mr Ansell expect of Leyton Orient FC? Regular Champions League football and an annual top-four Premier League finish?
I find it incredible that anyone could actually moan about Leyton Orient's current season which, considering the small budget Martin Ling, Dean Smith and Barry Hearn have to work with, has been nothing short of miraculous.
To criticise Barry Hearn, after all the hard and positive work he has poured into the club, is nothing short of incredible.
Last season, when the O's were struggling and relegation was looking like a real possibility, Hearn stuck to his guns, kept faith with his management team and is now reaping the benefits of such a wise and patient decision.
You may also want to watch:
Most chairmen in Hearn's position would have panicked and wrung the changes. Thank God he didn't, otherwise we probably would have gone down.
Ling has worked wonders on a tiny budget and has put together a genuinely excellent squad of players which, in the eyes of many fans, is arguably the best squad Brisbane Road has seen in the last 25 years.
- 1 Legendary east London graffiti pub to reopen after 26 years
- 2 Hackney Wick bar and restaurant opens with Two More Years to go
- 3 Gone in 60 seconds: Watch as 'keyless' thief steals Hackney car
- 4 Residents report losing sleep over Broadway Market drinkers and idling minicab engines
- 5 'They don't care,' says Hackney family living in mould-infested property
- 6 Surgery blunder sees wrong side of 75-year-old patient's thyroid removed
- 7 How Homerton Hospital staff took on the virus in the first year of Covid
- 8 Stamford Hill North and Shoreditch hardest hit during Covid waves
- 9 New traffic measures as school brings pupils onto a single site
- 10 Britannia Leisure Centre and the changing face of Shoreditch Park
Players such as Adam Boyd, Sean Thornton, Adam Chambers and Tamika Mkandawire are some of the best to wear the Orient shirt in recent times and it is thanks to Ling's astute management that we have such gifted individuals to entertain us week in, week out.
At the beginning of the season, Leyton Orient were tipped by many to go down. Bar the last few games we have been in the top four all season and now have a genuine chance of making the play-offs.
I can't understand why Mr Ansell is so upset? Does he love it when Orient lose?
Yes, we have struggled recently, but every team has a dip in form. You can't win every game and to berate Martin Ling and Barry Hearn after what is basically an awesome start to the season shows nothing but plain ignorance and stupidity.
Barry Hearn may not be perfect, but he saved this club from extinction and isn't about to put the club into bankruptcy chasing unattainable Ridsdale-esque Premier League dreams. The club loses around 500k per season.
Would Mr Ansell like to dip into his pocket so we can sign Dimitar Berbatov and Thierry Henry? Or maybe he would like Jose Mourinho to manage the club, seeing as Martin Ling seems to be doing such a bad job!
Sir, what the hell do you expect? You need to get behind your team and cheer them on.
Reading your whiny, ridiculous letter made my blood boil with anger. Wake up and smell the coffee.
Up the O's.