Stoke Newington boys overcome Hurricanes in cup final
- Credit: Archant
Stoke Newington Reds Under-11s lifted the Ken Grant Cup following their 2-1 victory over LOASS Hurricanes in Tottenham.
The Reds, who have beaten other teams from the Rural League in previous rounds, went into the game as underdogs after finishing below LOASS in the table.
But it was Stoke Newington who started the brighter of the two sides, playing some excellent passing football at a high tempo.
LOASS looked to pick off their opponents on the counter-attack, but were thwarted when they ventured forward by the excellent defensive marshalling of Campbell Douglass, Jackson Kennedy and Ismael Fuentes-Dorado.
Midway through the first half, Stoke Newington took the lead after another outstanding move. Club captain Asa Campbell hit a rasping shot from the edge of the box that crashed in off the underside of the bar.
You may also want to watch:
With half-time approaching, Jordi Fairs latched onto a corner to stab in a second from close range and give the Reds a strong advantage to take into the interval.
LOASS threw everything they could at Newington but, despite creating few clear-cut opportunities, they were awarded a penalty following a trip inside the box.
- 1 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 2 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 3 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 4 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 5 Covid-safe shared workspaces in Hackney on flexibility without formalities
- 6 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 7 Lockdown: Thirteen card players busted by police in Hackney social club
- 8 Stoke Newington School looks to raise £60K for student laptops
- 9 Homerton Hospital says 'stay home' after 'major incident' declared
- 10 Hackney gym owners fined £1,000 for breaching Covid rules
Lexi Andrassy-Escritt converted the spot-kick to set up a frantic final 15 minutes, but the Reds – coached by Samuel Green and Emilio Fuentes-Nava – held on to take the trophy back to N16.
Stoke Newington Reds: Ismail Erdogan, Noah Alves, Campbell Douglass, Jackson Kennedy, Ismael Fuentes-Dorado, Noah Silcott, Asa Campbell, Sonny Rayner, Silas Stewart-Caws, Thomas Archer, Jordi Fairs, Oniat Ibaibarriaga, Dior Grant.