Stoke Newington student completes treble at London Schools’ tournament
- Credit: Archant
Stoke Newington School student Romayne Stewart made it a hat-trick of titles after winning the boys’ Under-16 East London Regional final of the Jack Petchey London Schools’ tournament.
The 14-year-old will now advance to the London final in June following his victory at Raines Foundation Upper School, Tower Hamlets.
“I love the skill and the speed of table tennis and I have a great coach,” said Stewart, who has been playing for three years at Morpeth Table Tennis Club, Bethnal Green.
“I like playing people from different schools and I want to be number one.”
Meanwhile, 15-year-old Bridge Academy student, Zahna Hall, retained her Under-16 girls’ title – after winning the same category last year – to qualify for the London final.
You may also want to watch:
Hall has been playing the sport for three years at the Capital City Academy club and was delighted with her victory.
“I like competitions and winning prizes,” she said. “It keeps me fit and I have won a few trophies and medals. This one is good because everyone gets a certificate even if they didn’t win. It makes them feel good.”
- 1 New Aldi opens with help from Hackney pupils and Olympian
- 2 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 3 Five reasons why Dalston is one of the coolest places in the world
- 4 ‘People hit the deck’ - Londoners stunned by fighter jet flyover
- 5 Two taken to hospital and driver arrested after car flips in Hackney
- 6 Planet Organic to open in Broadway Market despite thousands of signatures in protest
- 7 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 8 TfL told to introduce 'pay per mile' charge to motorists
- 9 Woman battered Hackney Wetherspoons with axe as customers hid inside
- 10 Police officers save lives in two sperate emergencies on same shift