Super Bowl: Philadeplphia Eagles running back Jay Ajayi delighted to make promise a reality ahead of clash with New England Patriots
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Hackney-born star said when working as pundit last year he would only return to Super Bowl as a player, as he will on Sunday
Hackney-born Jay Ajayi will hope Sunday is a day to remember as he takes part in Super Bowl LII.
The 24-year-old running back plays for Phildelphia Eagles, who tackle New England Patriots this weekend in Minneapolis.
For the majority of the Eagles’ roster, including Ajayi, Sunday’s contest will be a maiden Super Bowl appearance.
This time last year Ajayi, then with Miami Dolphins, was working for a sponsor and doing punditry during a Super Bowl won by the Patriots, and he vowed to only return to such an event as a player.
You may also want to watch:
“I left early. I told my manager, my boys and my family I’m not coming to another Super Bowl again unless I was playing in it,” Ajayi revealed.
“It’s crazy how things work out. Now I’m back playing in the game so I don’t have to do the talking. I’m just grateful.
- 1 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 2 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 3 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 4 Reopening week saw “record-breaking” days at pubs in Hoxton
- 5 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 6 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 7 Hackney volunteers tend to Overground station gardens
- 8 Hackney restaurant exhibits local artists with new art space
- 9 Hackney service remembers Prince Philip, 'rock of the nation'
- 10 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
“The biggest thing for us to realise is even though it’s the Super Bowl, it’s still another game.”
Super Bowl LII starts at 11.30pm GMT on Sunday.