Super Bowl: Philadeplphia Eagles running back Jay Ajayi delighted to make promise a reality ahead of clash with New England Patriots
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Hackney-born star said when working as pundit last year he would only return to Super Bowl as a player, as he will on Sunday
Hackney-born Jay Ajayi will hope Sunday is a day to remember as he takes part in Super Bowl LII.
The 24-year-old running back plays for Phildelphia Eagles, who tackle New England Patriots this weekend in Minneapolis.
For the majority of the Eagles’ roster, including Ajayi, Sunday’s contest will be a maiden Super Bowl appearance.
This time last year Ajayi, then with Miami Dolphins, was working for a sponsor and doing punditry during a Super Bowl won by the Patriots, and he vowed to only return to such an event as a player.
You may also want to watch:
“I left early. I told my manager, my boys and my family I’m not coming to another Super Bowl again unless I was playing in it,” Ajayi revealed.
“It’s crazy how things work out. Now I’m back playing in the game so I don’t have to do the talking. I’m just grateful.
- 1 Hackney ‘poised’ to undertake school closures after drop in pupil numbers
- 2 Prospect of £10K fine after Stamford Hill wedding
- 3 This isn't a funny column - Covid killed my father
- 4 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 5 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 6 Police seize lock and 'Rambo-style' knifes in London Fields
- 7 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 8 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 9 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 10 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
“The biggest thing for us to realise is even though it’s the Super Bowl, it’s still another game.”
Super Bowl LII starts at 11.30pm GMT on Sunday.