Super Bowl: Philadeplphia Eagles running back Jay Ajayi delighted to make promise a reality ahead of clash with New England Patriots
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Hackney-born star said when working as pundit last year he would only return to Super Bowl as a player, as he will on Sunday
Hackney-born Jay Ajayi will hope Sunday is a day to remember as he takes part in Super Bowl LII.
The 24-year-old running back plays for Phildelphia Eagles, who tackle New England Patriots this weekend in Minneapolis.
For the majority of the Eagles’ roster, including Ajayi, Sunday’s contest will be a maiden Super Bowl appearance.
This time last year Ajayi, then with Miami Dolphins, was working for a sponsor and doing punditry during a Super Bowl won by the Patriots, and he vowed to only return to such an event as a player.
You may also want to watch:
“I left early. I told my manager, my boys and my family I’m not coming to another Super Bowl again unless I was playing in it,” Ajayi revealed.
“It’s crazy how things work out. Now I’m back playing in the game so I don’t have to do the talking. I’m just grateful.
- 1 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 2 Chinese dumpling house voted top restaurant by readers
- 3 McDonald's boycott backed by Diane Abbott, Hackney MP
- 4 Scouts roll out new early years Squirrels programme across east London
- 5 Delivery couriers boycott Dalston McDonald's
- 6 Five things to do in Hackney and Islington this weekend (September 25-56)
- 7 Thousands oppose Stoke Newington Church Street bus gate
- 8 Home of the metre-long pizza opens in Finsbury Park
- 9 Hackney Wick's Lord Napier pub opens its doors after 26 years
- 10 Hackney acid attack: Man charged over 2019 assault which left two with life-changing injuries
“The biggest thing for us to realise is even though it’s the Super Bowl, it’s still another game.”
Super Bowl LII starts at 11.30pm GMT on Sunday.