Trippier backing England’s attackers to ease burden on captain Kane
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
The Tottenham Hotspur defender praised the leadership skills of his club team-mate and discussed the firepower in the England squad
Kieran Trippier is backing other players in the England squad to share the goals and ease the burden on captain Harry Kane.
The Spurs right-back impressed during Monday’s Group G opener as the Three Lions won 2-1 against Tunisia.
Harry Kane, Trippier’s Tottenham Hotspur team-mate, scored twice and also netted in the friendly win over Nigeria at the start of this month.
But in other England outings in 2018 the likes of Jamie Vardy, Jesse Lingard, Gary Cahill, Marcus Rashford and Danny Welbeck have all netted for their country.
You may also want to watch:
Therefore Trippier feels there are plenty of people waiting in the wings to score for Gareth Southgate’s team should Kane not have his shooting boots on against Panama on Sunday or versus Belgium (June 28).
“If Harry doesn’t score we’ve got players who can,” the 27-year-old full-back told PA Sport.
- 1 Residents' parking spaces removed for Church Street LTN
- 2 Hackney Half runners prepare for the fitness festival weekend
- 3 Hackney's pie and mash house son featured on MasterChef
- 4 New free map reveals the best walking routes in Hackney and Islington
- 5 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 6 Hackney's Liam Dillion aims for vacant English super-featherweight title
- 7 Residents' thoughts on Stoke Newington Church Street LTN
- 8 Still no justice for Hackney flat party stabbing victim Elyon Poku
- 9 McDonald's boycott backed by Diane Abbott, Hackney MP
- 10 Thousands oppose Stoke Newington Church Street bus gate
“We’re one team over here and we know we’ve got quality all over the pitch. We’ve got Marcus, Raheem (Sterling), Dele Alli, Ruben (Loftus-Cheek), they’ve had fine seasons, Jesse has as well plus ‘Vards’.
“They’ve had excellent seasons for their clubs and hopefully in this tournament they can provide some goals for us.”
Although England know they have more firepower than simply Kane, the presence of the captain is huge.
Trippier discussed the feeling amongst the squad when the Spurs striker is in the team with the 24-year-old missing five of his country’s last seven fixtures.
When reflecting on Kane’s leadership skills, the Tottenham defender added: “If things are not working he’s got a big voice in the dressing room, everyone listens to him.
“He has a presence. When he’s with you, you just feed off him. He lifts you when he’s around, he just lifts you. He dedicates his life to football. He’s so professional.”
Although Kane took the plaudits after Monday’s win over Tunisia, there were many fans and pundits full of praise for Trippier too.
Throughout England’s World Cup opener he provided an outlet and a threat on the right and was very solid at the back which bodes well for the Spurs man looking ahead to the rest of the tournament.
Additional reporting by PA Sport.