Unbeaten Homerton boxer eyes shot at British title
- Credit: Philip Sharkey/TGS Photo
Homerton super-lightweight Ohara Davies will fight on the undercard of Juergen Braehmer v Nathan Cleverly on Saturday in Germany.
The unbeaten Davies, who was won all 12 of his professional fights to date, was due to face former European and Commonwealth champion Willie Limond for a world title eliminator on October 7 in Glasgow, but the Scottish veteran pulled out of the fight.
So instead Davies heads to Neubrandeburg for a six-round assignment with one eye on a title shot at British super-lightweight champion Tyrone Nurse.
An announcement on Davies’ opponent was expected as the Gazette went to press.
It will be the second time Davies has fought in Germany, having won there against Jacek Wylezol in May 2015 courtesy of a unaniminous decision.
You may also want to watch:
This weekend’s bill is fast becoming a showcase event for British boxing hopefuls, with heavyweight David Price and middleweight Anthony Ogogo already preparing to set the scene for Cleverly’s world title tilt.
Davies told the Gazette: “I will fight anybody they put me up against. I would jump at the opportunity to fight Tyron Nurse for the British light-welterweight title he holds later this year.”
- 1 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 2 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 3 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 4 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 5 'Betrayal of Tottenham Hotspur': fans slam European Super League plan
- 6 Hackney volunteers tend to Overground station gardens
- 7 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 8 Reopening week saw “record-breaking” days at pubs in Hoxton
- 9 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 10 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
Former Lion ABC starlet Jamie Arlain won his first professional title at York Hall on Saturday, outpointing Andrew Joicey to secure the British lightweight Challenge belt.