Walk in the park for Hackney Jurassics at FA People’s Cup finals
- Credit: The FA via Getty Images
Local team claim silverware in Birmingham to book themselves tickets for the FA Cup final between Arsenal and Chelsea
Hackney Jurassics were celebrating on Monday after winning the female veterans’ category of the FA People’s Cup and in the process book themselves tickets for the FA Cup final between Arsenal and Chelsea.
Jurassics defeated Armley FC 2-0 in the final at Play Football Birmingham following a composed performance to retain their title after success in 2016.
The victory also meant the local women remained unbeaten throughout the day to ensure they were worthy winners yet again.
Jurassics are made up of a bunch of women over the age of 35 who have been playing football in and around Hackney and Islington for a number of years.
Some of the squad still play regular Sunday League football where as others, due to age, injuries, kids or work commitments, can only play five-a-side every Thursday at Market Road’s 4G facilities.
The Jurassics team, who are regular spotted in the Hemingford Arms, travelled up to Birmingham determined to win their category.
- 1 Girl reported missing from Hackney found
- 2 Man arrested over two separate rape allegations - one previously unknown to police
- 3 Woman, 31, cleared of murdering man in Hackney
- 4 Come Dine With Me calls on east London restaurants for new show
- 5 Man's head and hand slashed in Hackney knife attack
- 6 Dumpling Shack announces plans for Hackney restaurant
- 7 Covid patient numbers remain steady at Homerton Hospital
- 8 Sentencing delayed for 'audacious' fraudster who conned Hackney hotel staff
- 9 Hackney woman fined £12,000 for hosting birthday bash a day after No 10 parties
- 10 Hackney-born football fanatic pens lifelong passion
And despite some tough challenges along the way, the Hackney women managed to get their hands on silverware.
Jurassics can now look forward to watching the FA Cup final later this month and walk on the hallow turf during the game.
Hackney Jurassics: Renee Dela Cruz, Cristina Polania, Fran Cagetti, Vanessa Wilson, Naina Patel, Jackie Pidcock, Sharon Hopkins, Alice Twaite.