Walk in the park for Hackney Jurassics at FA People’s Cup finals
- Credit: The FA via Getty Images
Local team claim silverware in Birmingham to book themselves tickets for the FA Cup final between Arsenal and Chelsea
Hackney Jurassics were celebrating on Monday after winning the female veterans’ category of the FA People’s Cup and in the process book themselves tickets for the FA Cup final between Arsenal and Chelsea.
Jurassics defeated Armley FC 2-0 in the final at Play Football Birmingham following a composed performance to retain their title after success in 2016.
The victory also meant the local women remained unbeaten throughout the day to ensure they were worthy winners yet again.
Jurassics are made up of a bunch of women over the age of 35 who have been playing football in and around Hackney and Islington for a number of years.
You may also want to watch:
Some of the squad still play regular Sunday League football where as others, due to age, injuries, kids or work commitments, can only play five-a-side every Thursday at Market Road’s 4G facilities.
The Jurassics team, who are regular spotted in the Hemingford Arms, travelled up to Birmingham determined to win their category.
- 1 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 2 Anti-lockdown and vaccination camp remains in Hackney Downs after a week
- 3 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
- 4 Hackney barber to Lebron James and Anthony Joshua has skills recognised
- 5 Homerton gardens renamed to sever slave trader ties and celebrate community hero
- 6 Elderly woman robbed of precious watch in daylight Finsbury Park incident
- 7 Upcoming Hackney and Islington road and rail disruptions
- 8 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 9 Charity puts on community feasts to tackle food waste
- 10 Police searching for rightful owners of 45 stolen bikes
And despite some tough challenges along the way, the Hackney women managed to get their hands on silverware.
Jurassics can now look forward to watching the FA Cup final later this month and walk on the hallow turf during the game.
Hackney Jurassics: Renee Dela Cruz, Cristina Polania, Fran Cagetti, Vanessa Wilson, Naina Patel, Jackie Pidcock, Sharon Hopkins, Alice Twaite.