Walthamstow Village give Phoenix a spot of bother

Tottenham Phoenix

Tottenham Phoenix - Credit: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO

Hackney & Leyton League Premier Division side Tottenham Phoenix were on the wrong end of a shock in the Dickie Davies Cup as they were knocked out on penalties by Division Two Walthamstow Village.

The match was level at 1-1 at the end of normal time, thanks to goals from Jeromine Da Costa and Messiah Odimna, before Jason Odunze gave Tottenham a 2-1 lead in extra-time.

Richard Smith equalised for Walthamstow with the last kick, and they upset the odds by triumphing 4-2 on spot-kicks.

Callum Ellis was on target for Angel & Crown, but his side were on the wrong end of a 4-1 hammering by Shoreditch Fire Penguins.

Division One side Newcresse FC edged out Wounded Knee 5-3 after extra-time. The match was all-square at 2-2 at the end of normal time. Lan Goi-Dominique and David Murphy were on target for Knee.

Division One leaders Shakespeare edged out Mustard FC 4-3 thanks to goals from Ashley Lee, Joshua Prigg, Michael Christoudolou and David Walker. Gary Silvera scored twice for Mustard, and Dean Phillips got the other.

Jay Cubed edged an enthralling game against Division Four leaders Top Red, as goals from Jon Signore, Ricky Styles and Jamie Luxford secured a 3-2 triumph. Henry Swoles and Sam Velody registered for Top Red.

Most Read

Division Four side Leyton Orient Fans Trust threw away a 2-0 lead against Forest Athletic, but eventually ran out 5-2 winners. Michael Coules scored a hat-trick, with the other goals coming from Marcus Davis and Rob Crane. Aaron Johnson and Denham replied for Forest.

Elsewhere, Phoenix hammered Homerton 6-1, with Tyrone Husbands netting four and Gio Falzone two.

Niva-Unistream edged out Hackney FC 3-1, with second-half strikes from C Tronciu, I Melesco and Maks Voloskin. Troy Fleming had given Hackney an early lead.

Haggerston beat Delta Athletic 5-3, while Boston Celtic edged out Dynamics 2-1. Red Devils defeated Duchess 5-4, while Wojack Sunday won 5-2 against Wenlock Arms.

In the first round of the Albert Daniels Senior Cup, Black Meteors won 3-1 against Highfield, with a brace of goals from Richard Owusu and a single strike by Baba Amando. Joe Galbraith replied for Highfield.

Bristow City and NLM shared the points in an entertaining contest in Division Two, drawing 2-2, and the points were also shared between Football Club 22 and Athletico Angels in a 1-1 stalemate which kept Angels a point clear at the top.

Pacesetters Birkbeck Orient remain top of Division Three, despite dropping their first points of the season in their 1-1 draw with Bocca Albion.

City Flyers are close behind, trailing by three points in second place after a resounding 4-1 triumph over Regent’s Rovers.

An incredible 14 goals were shared between Stratford Athletic and Woodford Rovers, as Stratford emerged 8-6 winners.

In Division Four, Bow Badgers eased past East London 2-0, while Leyton Manor launched a brave comeback from 3-0 down against Maynell to make it 3-3 – only for their opponents to grab the winner.