West Ham skipper should be fit to face old club Arsenal
Matthew Upson reveals he was taken-off against Newcastle as a precautionary measure.
West Ham skipper Matthew Upson should be fit to face his former side Arsenal at the weekend after revealing he was replaced against Newcastle last Saturday only as a precaution.
Upson was replaced by Herita Ilunga in the 53rd minute and missed the draw at Wolves the week before through injury.
The former Luton man admitted he had trouble with his fitness for some time.
“I had a problem with my upper back for the last three weeks, I’ve been battling it. It kept me out of Saturday (Wolves) and it has imbalanced me a little bit,” he said.
You may also want to watch:
“My hamstring tightened up (against Newcastle). I felt it straight away and I knew if I had to explode or run quickly I may have torn it badly, so as a precaution I had to signal to come off.”
His return would be a boost for boss Avram Grant, with Upson in top form over West Ham’s five-match unbeaten run.
- 1 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 2 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 3 Prospect of £10K fine after Stamford Hill wedding
- 4 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 5 Police seize lock and 'Rambo-style' knifes in London Fields
- 6 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 7 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 8 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 9 Hackney ‘poised’ to undertake school closures after drop in pupil numbers
- 10 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
The England international built up an important partnership with Manuel Da Costa at the heart of the defence and the the former Fiorentina player seemed to struggle after Upson was taken off the pitch.
Hammers striker Frank Nouble could be on the bench for this Saturday’s clash at the Emirates after being recalled from his loan spell at Swansea City.
The former Chelsea forward has returned to his parent club as a precaution, with the fitness of striker Frederic Piquionne in doubt.