West Ham skipper should be fit to face old club Arsenal
Matthew Upson reveals he was taken-off against Newcastle as a precautionary measure.
West Ham skipper Matthew Upson should be fit to face his former side Arsenal at the weekend after revealing he was replaced against Newcastle last Saturday only as a precaution.
Upson was replaced by Herita Ilunga in the 53rd minute and missed the draw at Wolves the week before through injury.
The former Luton man admitted he had trouble with his fitness for some time.
“I had a problem with my upper back for the last three weeks, I’ve been battling it. It kept me out of Saturday (Wolves) and it has imbalanced me a little bit,” he said.
You may also want to watch:
“My hamstring tightened up (against Newcastle). I felt it straight away and I knew if I had to explode or run quickly I may have torn it badly, so as a precaution I had to signal to come off.”
His return would be a boost for boss Avram Grant, with Upson in top form over West Ham’s five-match unbeaten run.
- 1 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 2 Hackney people encouraged to shop local for April 12 reopening
- 3 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 4 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 5 Garden of Lament, Covid, Ramadan, homing cats and Islamophobia
- 6 Community group crowdfunds to turn old Lea valley water depot into wild space
- 7 'I can't wait to buy useless items' when shops reopen after Covid lockdown
- 8 Hoxton restaurant showcases menus by New City College student chefs
- 9 Hackney mum left with 'deep scars' after sexual assault at school
- 10 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
The England international built up an important partnership with Manuel Da Costa at the heart of the defence and the the former Fiorentina player seemed to struggle after Upson was taken off the pitch.
Hammers striker Frank Nouble could be on the bench for this Saturday’s clash at the Emirates after being recalled from his loan spell at Swansea City.
The former Chelsea forward has returned to his parent club as a precaution, with the fitness of striker Frederic Piquionne in doubt.