Hackney duo Reid and Yarde maintain perfect pro records with victories on Warren bill
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
The latest boxing news from Hackney
There were wins for Hackney boxers Anthony Yarde and Lucien Reid on the Frank Warren show at the Brentwood Centre on Saturday.
Yarde defended his WBO inter-continental light heavyweight title against Argentinean rival Walter Gabriel Sequeira with a fourth-round stoppage.
The 27-year-old looked a lot bigger than his opponent and came out taking the fight to the Argentine, putting Sequeira on the back foot from the off.
The second round saw Sequeira trying to match Yarde’s work rate, but the Argentine was unable to carry the same power in his punches.
You may also want to watch:
The third round went much the same way, before Yarde dominated the fourth with powerful hooks and uppercuts.
The 27-year-old knocked his rival down to the canvas three times before referee Phil Edwards intervened and brought the fight to an end.
- 1 "Heartless" Joshua White killers jailed for life
- 2 Broken De Beauvoir Estate lift saw man "bump" wife in wheelchair down stairs
- 3 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 4 Hackney police commander calls on community to "play its part" in crime prevention
- 5 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 6 ‘We are still human’: homeless households speak out over living conditions
- 7 Campaigners to protest at GP surgeries as outrage grows over US takeover
- 8 Calls for black women's voices to also be heard in light of Sarah Everard death
- 9 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 10 Hackney volunteers tend to Overground station gardens
After the 16th knockout win of his professional career, Yarde said: “Sequeira was awkward and I had to work him out.
“This was only my 17th professional fight and I only had 12 amateur bouts before that, so I am still doing my apprenticeship.”
Homerton featherweight Reid, meanwhile, maintained his unbeaten record by beating Nicaragua’s Rafael Castillo to make it eight wins in the paid ranks.
The 25-year-old, however, was taken the distance for the third fight in succession by Castillo.
After dominating the opening round, a clash of heads in the second opened up a cut over Reid’s left eye, which troubled ‘Lethal’ right up until the final bell despite a good job from the cut man in his corner.
After Castillo had taken so many powerful jabs and hooks throughout, the Nicaraguan finally went down in the seventh after a cluster of punches from Reid, but the brave opponent was soon up on his feet.
Reid, an orthodox boxer with good head movement who often switches to southpaw, was always in control of the contest and received the decision from referee Kieran McCann.
After the victory, Reid said: “Castillo was very strong and he took all of my hard punches.
“This was the first time I had been cut in a boxing ring; the only other time I was cut was when my brother caught me with a golf club.”