Youth Games: Hackney girls reach basketball finals
- Credit: Archant
Squad book trip to Crystal Palace
Hackney’s girls booked their place at the London Youth Games basketball finals with an impressive display at their qualifying event.
Comfortable group wins over Enfield (35-1), Redbridge (31-6), Tower Hamlets (26-3) and Hounslow (19-9) saw them top the pile with maximum points.
And Hackney then saw off Croydon (24-16) in the quarter-finals, leading 12-9 at half time and proving clinical with their free throws, to set up a final fours meeting with Newham at Crystal Palace next month.
Team manager Fe Duhaney-Keown said: “To make it through to the semi-finals feels great.”
Hackney’s boys eased past Camden (32-13) and edged out Greenwich (22-21) in their qualifying group, but went down 10-9 against Southwark and missed out on a quarter-final place, finishing in a share of ninth.
- 1 Woman 'may face life-changing injuries' after Dalston e-scooter crash
- 2 Gun found in car as Met makes 130 arrests during drugs op
- 3 Man arrested over two separate rape allegations - one previously unknown to police
- 4 De Beauvoir mother and son campaign to keep the 21 bus route
- 5 Drug dealer jailed after being caught with cannabis and cash
- 6 Girl reported missing from Hackney found
- 7 'Deeply shocked and troubled': Reports of rising anti-Semitic crime
- 8 ‘The people of Edmonton will stop this incinerator’ - Protestors promise more action if plan is signed off
- 9 Man's head and hand slashed in Hackney knife attack
- 10 Woman, 31, cleared of murdering man in Hackney