Youth Games: Hackney pedal to cycling gold
- Credit: Archant
Hackney youngsters showed their pedal power to claim gold at the London Youth Games road cycling event at Lee Valley Velopark.
More than 180 riders from 22 London boroughs took part in six cycling events, with Sam Bardill winning bronze in the boys’ road race.
Anouska Minale added a silver in the girls’ time trial to help Hackney claim top spot in the final standings to the delight of manager Kier Appleby.
He said: “We had a talk before this final and we said it is all about teamwork.
“I told them I’ll go home happy and we’ll all go home happy if they’ve shown teamwork.
You may also want to watch:
“Its not just about sport, it’s that anything worth achieving in life is all about teamwork, so thank you to everyone involved.”
Hackney finished sixth overall in the sailing finals at Queen Mary’s Reservoir after claiming individual gold in the Topper 4.2 (female) event.
- 1 Pastor Morris tribute: 'We don’t know what would have happened to us if it wasn’t for him'
- 2 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
- 3 From Shoreditch to Las Vegas: New bingo hall for Hackney
- 4 'It's like toilet', say Dalston residents who have had enough of broken locks, rats and scaffolding
- 5 £5.75m investment agreed for "historic" Clapton leisure centre
- 6 Students earn scholarships at top schools worth £150,000
- 7 Dangerously overloaded vans leaving New Spitalfields Market taken off the road
- 8 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 9 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 10 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
Mini tennis finals take place at Redbridge today.