Youth Games: Hackney pedal to cycling gold
- Credit: Archant
Hackney youngsters showed their pedal power to claim gold at the London Youth Games road cycling event at Lee Valley Velopark.
More than 180 riders from 22 London boroughs took part in six cycling events, with Sam Bardill winning bronze in the boys’ road race.
Anouska Minale added a silver in the girls’ time trial to help Hackney claim top spot in the final standings to the delight of manager Kier Appleby.
He said: “We had a talk before this final and we said it is all about teamwork.
“I told them I’ll go home happy and we’ll all go home happy if they’ve shown teamwork.
You may also want to watch:
“Its not just about sport, it’s that anything worth achieving in life is all about teamwork, so thank you to everyone involved.”
Hackney finished sixth overall in the sailing finals at Queen Mary’s Reservoir after claiming individual gold in the Topper 4.2 (female) event.
- 1 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 2 Man wanted after alleged sexual offence in Hackney
- 3 How Hackney are you? Try our quiz
- 4 Clapton: Hunt for metal pole after man badly injured
- 5 Drug dealer jailed for murder of Jay John after Dalston attack
- 6 The top FIVE Halloween events in Hackney and Islington
- 7 Morning Lane council homes only possible 'if flats are sold' - says mayor
- 8 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 9 TV drama of fascism and resistance in Jewish East London
- 10 New Aldi opens with help from Hackney pupils and Olympian
Mini tennis finals take place at Redbridge today.