Youth Games: Hackney pedal to cycling gold
- Credit: Archant
Hackney youngsters showed their pedal power to claim gold at the London Youth Games road cycling event at Lee Valley Velopark.
More than 180 riders from 22 London boroughs took part in six cycling events, with Sam Bardill winning bronze in the boys’ road race.
Anouska Minale added a silver in the girls’ time trial to help Hackney claim top spot in the final standings to the delight of manager Kier Appleby.
He said: “We had a talk before this final and we said it is all about teamwork.
“I told them I’ll go home happy and we’ll all go home happy if they’ve shown teamwork.
You may also want to watch:
“Its not just about sport, it’s that anything worth achieving in life is all about teamwork, so thank you to everyone involved.”
Hackney finished sixth overall in the sailing finals at Queen Mary’s Reservoir after claiming individual gold in the Topper 4.2 (female) event.
- 1 Hackney people encouraged to shop local for April 12 reopening
- 2 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 3 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 4 Garden of Lament, Covid, Ramadan, homing cats and Islamophobia
- 5 Community group crowdfunds to turn old Lea valley water depot into wild space
- 6 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 7 'I can't wait to buy useless items' when shops reopen after Covid lockdown
- 8 Hoxton restaurant showcases menus by New City College student chefs
- 9 Hackney mum left with 'deep scars' after sexual assault at school
- 10 Tote bags help tackle homelessness and addiction
Mini tennis finals take place at Redbridge today.