Youth Games: Hackney pedal to cycling gold
- Credit: Archant
Hackney youngsters showed their pedal power to claim gold at the London Youth Games road cycling event at Lee Valley Velopark.
More than 180 riders from 22 London boroughs took part in six cycling events, with Sam Bardill winning bronze in the boys’ road race.
Anouska Minale added a silver in the girls’ time trial to help Hackney claim top spot in the final standings to the delight of manager Kier Appleby.
He said: “We had a talk before this final and we said it is all about teamwork.
“I told them I’ll go home happy and we’ll all go home happy if they’ve shown teamwork.
You may also want to watch:
“Its not just about sport, it’s that anything worth achieving in life is all about teamwork, so thank you to everyone involved.”
Hackney finished sixth overall in the sailing finals at Queen Mary’s Reservoir after claiming individual gold in the Topper 4.2 (female) event.
- 1 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 2 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 3 Prospect of £10K fine after Stamford Hill wedding
- 4 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 5 Police seize lock and 'Rambo-style' knifes in London Fields
- 6 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 7 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 8 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 9 Hackney ‘poised’ to undertake school closures after drop in pupil numbers
- 10 Bedroom pop producer 'owes success to Hackney's creative community'
Mini tennis finals take place at Redbridge today.