Album review: Kylie Christmas
- Credit: © Parlophone/Warner Bros.
Pop icon takes on the Christmas songbook but fails to make it her own, says Stephen Moore.
The princess of pop is at her best belting out strident, accessible disco. Her last record was pretty uninspiring stuff that left most of us reaching for 2001’s Fever to remind ourselves what she can do with the right team.
So has she seized the Christmas crown in the name of the disco dancefloor here? Spinning Around (The Christmas Tree)? Can’t Get Santa Out Of My Head?
Not so much. There are a couple of pumping numbers (cynically stuffed on the deluxe edition) including her duet with sister Dannii, 100 Degrees - a summery, ‘70s symphonic-disco victory which is hands-down the best tune here.
But time will tell whether Kylie’s co-written White December, a chugger of carefully calibrated blandness, glides into the pantheon of Chrimbo classics. Another cynical newbie, the bouncy Christmas Isn’t Christmas ‘Til You Get Here, has all the verve and vigour of a poppadom.
You may also want to watch:
Despite calling in festive favours from Iggy Pop (her star-crossed lover in The Waitresses’ Christmas Wrapping) and James Corden (who puts in a nuanced turn in Yazoo’s Only You), and being outshone by a reanimated Ol’ Blue Eyes (Santa Claus Is Coming To Town), the rest of the collection is full of frustratingly faithful, vanilla retreads of the classics.
Let It Snow and Santa Baby are cookie-cutter covers and Everyday’s Like Christmas aims for fantastic, sky-bound electro but falls rather flaccid.
- 1 Man wanted after alleged sexual offence in Hackney
- 2 Clapton: Hunt for metal pole after man badly injured
- 3 Drug dealer jailed for murder of Jay John after Dalston attack
- 4 Calls to boycott Museum of Home until Geffrye statue falls
- 5 Nuisance drinkers in Hackney to be fined under new order
- 6 Trick or Eat returns to help Hackney Foodbank
- 7 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 8 New Aldi opens with help from Hackney pupils and Olympian
- 9 More developers could lodge proposals for Hackney Central site
- 10 Two taken to hospital and driver arrested after car flips in Hackney
Kylie could have swapped Santa’s tired baubles for a spanking disco ball but the bulk of Christmas just adds to the bulging sack of forgettable festive frippery.