Alexis Taylor, Pete Paphides and Nick Luscombe to host ambitious new musical nights at Merchant’s Tavern
- Credit: Archant
Shoreditch restaurant Merchants Tavern is moonlighting as an elegant setting for a stunningly wide range of music over the next three months as a host of respected clubhouse DJs, artists and critics prepare to air playlists of their favourite tracks.
Each night, special guests including Hot Chip’s Alexis Taylor, Flomotion DJ Nick Luscombe and BBC 6 Music presenter Pete Paphides will play carefully-selected vinyl records of all genres from the past 50 years – encompassing everything from rock ‘n’ roll to soul, country, reggae, R’n’B, jazz and blues.
Prominent DJ Bill Brewster launched the innovative new musical venture – dubbed Spiritland – on Monday before inaugurating the venue’s pioneering analogue sound system, hailed as the holy grail of auditory experiences.
Taking up residence in the bar of the former Victorian warehouse on Charlotte Street, Spiritland hosts a season of curated events until the New Year, when it intends to open its own restaurant, bar and members club with music at its heart.
Monday October 27 will see a night dedicated to Lou Reed on the first anniversary of his death, while later in the season, there will even be a rare outing of Marxist historian Eric Hobsbawm’s extensive jazz collection, loaned to Spiritland by his family.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 2 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 3 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 4 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 5 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 6 New Exhibition celebrates Hackney scenes
- 7 Hackney welcomes back eager gym-goers and swimmers
- 8 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 9 Delivery service helps local shops in Hackney, Islington and Tower Hamlets
- 10 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12