Bollywood festival comes to Bethnal Green’s Rich Mix arts centre
Bollywood fans can step back into a more innocent age of eastern cinema at Rich Mix next month.
Vintage classics credited with paving the way for the fast-paced action scenes and elaborate plots that dominate the genre today will be shown in a special bite-sized festival at the Bethnal Green venue.
The genre really began spreading roots in the years following India’s independence, with heroic battles and smouldered sirens depicting a nation at the height of its confidence and eager to showcase its rich cultural traditions.
This run claims to take in the very best of Bollywood, with a repertoire spanning from the 1940s, 50s, 60s and 70s.
Targeted at the die-hard Bollywood enthusiast as well as film fans looking to learn a little more about the genre, the festival aims to encapsulate the complete “Bollywood experience” – glamour, colour and drama included.
You may also want to watch:
1952 classic Aan, also known as The Savage Princess and the first full feature Bollywood film to be made in Technicolor, is among the showings.
The advent of colour perhaps heralded more significance for eastern films than their western counterparts, with lush, tropical landscapes, vivid costumes and incredible architecture shown in all their glory to new audiences.
- 1 Hackney had worst knife crime rate in London, report finds
- 2 Dalston revealed as Hackney's top hotspot for weapons offences
- 3 Hackney sees house prices boom by more than 108 per cent over ten years
- 5 Man attacked with metal pole in Clapton
- 6 Hackney leaders welcome Mayor Khan's ULEZ expansion
- 7 How Hackney are you? Try our quiz
- 8 The top FIVE Halloween events in Hackney and Islington
- 9 Hackney NHS staff celebrated for 'work beyond the call of duty'
- 10 Drug dealer jailed for murder of Jay John after Dalston attack
Screenings will be interspersed with regular intervals and Indian-inspired cocktails and food will be available.
Bollywood dancers are also due to take to the stage and a DJ set will provide entertainment well into the night.
Bollywood Bitesized is at Rich Mix in Bethnal Green Road on Saturday February 4 from 6.30pm.
Tickets are �12 in advance and �15 on the door with entry to the club night �5 after 10pm.