Bollywood festival comes to Bethnal Green’s Rich Mix arts centre
Bollywood fans can step back into a more innocent age of eastern cinema at Rich Mix next month.
Vintage classics credited with paving the way for the fast-paced action scenes and elaborate plots that dominate the genre today will be shown in a special bite-sized festival at the Bethnal Green venue.
The genre really began spreading roots in the years following India’s independence, with heroic battles and smouldered sirens depicting a nation at the height of its confidence and eager to showcase its rich cultural traditions.
This run claims to take in the very best of Bollywood, with a repertoire spanning from the 1940s, 50s, 60s and 70s.
Targeted at the die-hard Bollywood enthusiast as well as film fans looking to learn a little more about the genre, the festival aims to encapsulate the complete “Bollywood experience” – glamour, colour and drama included.
You may also want to watch:
1952 classic Aan, also known as The Savage Princess and the first full feature Bollywood film to be made in Technicolor, is among the showings.
The advent of colour perhaps heralded more significance for eastern films than their western counterparts, with lush, tropical landscapes, vivid costumes and incredible architecture shown in all their glory to new audiences.
- 1 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 2 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 3 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 4 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 5 Hackney ‘poised’ to undertake school closures after drop in pupil numbers
- 6 Stoke Newington School looks to raise £60K for student laptops
- 7 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 8 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 9 Hackney postal voters urged to reapply after cyber-attack
Screenings will be interspersed with regular intervals and Indian-inspired cocktails and food will be available.
Bollywood dancers are also due to take to the stage and a DJ set will provide entertainment well into the night.
Bollywood Bitesized is at Rich Mix in Bethnal Green Road on Saturday February 4 from 6.30pm.
Tickets are �12 in advance and �15 on the door with entry to the club night �5 after 10pm.