Botswanan choir dazzles audience
A CHOIR from Botswana dazzled a huge audience St John-at-Hackney last Friday (8 October).
The Sedibeng Choral Society also inspired community choir Hackney Singers in Lower Clapton Road, with traditional African music dancing and drumming.
“The Hackney Singers were truly inspired to reach another level tonight by the Sedibeng Choral Society”, said Mark Shanahan, Hackney Singers Musical Director.
“To see the way they were inspired when they sang - especially during the encore - was just fantastic”.
The Sedibeng Choral Society journeyed to Hackney as part of their first tour outside of Botswana and for many, it was their first trip outside south African country.
You may also want to watch:
More than 600 people watched the choir, who were followed by local group, Hackney Singers.
Hackney Singers Rep�titeur, Andrew Storey, put in an impressive performance on the organ, keeping pace with the fast rhythms and complex arrangements.
- 1 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 2 How Hackney are you? Try our quiz
- 3 Clapton: Hunt for metal pole after man badly injured
- 4 Drug dealer jailed for murder of Jay John after Dalston attack
- 5 Man wanted after alleged sexual offence in Hackney
- 6 Parents protest plan to close children's centres in Hackney
- 7 Morning Lane council homes only possible 'if flats are sold' - says mayor
- 8 Calls to boycott Museum of Home until Geffrye statue falls
- 9 Nuisance drinkers in Hackney to be fined under new order
- 10 New Aldi opens with help from Hackney pupils and Olympian
Mr Storey called the performance a “triumph” and “one of the best in the 20 years that I have been doing this”.