Botswanan choir dazzles audience
A CHOIR from Botswana dazzled a huge audience St John-at-Hackney last Friday (8 October).
The Sedibeng Choral Society also inspired community choir Hackney Singers in Lower Clapton Road, with traditional African music dancing and drumming.
“The Hackney Singers were truly inspired to reach another level tonight by the Sedibeng Choral Society”, said Mark Shanahan, Hackney Singers Musical Director.
“To see the way they were inspired when they sang - especially during the encore - was just fantastic”.
The Sedibeng Choral Society journeyed to Hackney as part of their first tour outside of Botswana and for many, it was their first trip outside south African country.
You may also want to watch:
More than 600 people watched the choir, who were followed by local group, Hackney Singers.
Hackney Singers Rep�titeur, Andrew Storey, put in an impressive performance on the organ, keeping pace with the fast rhythms and complex arrangements.
- 1 London's emergency services show support for LTNs
- 2 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 3 Community group crowdfunds to turn old Lea valley water depot into wild space
- 4 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 5 Godwin Lawson's mum reflects on the ‘hardest call’ after son's fatal stabbing
- 6 'I can't wait to buy useless items' when shops reopen after Covid lockdown
- 7 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 8 Former East Enders actor takes next career step as a film director
- 9 Hackney remembers Prince Philip after his passing at age 99
- 10 Arsenal legend Kelly Smith says Williamson and Wubben-Moy have the chance to impress for Lionesses
Mr Storey called the performance a “triumph” and “one of the best in the 20 years that I have been doing this”.