Botswanan choir dazzles audience
A CHOIR from Botswana dazzled a huge audience St John-at-Hackney last Friday (8 October).
The Sedibeng Choral Society also inspired community choir Hackney Singers in Lower Clapton Road, with traditional African music dancing and drumming.
“The Hackney Singers were truly inspired to reach another level tonight by the Sedibeng Choral Society”, said Mark Shanahan, Hackney Singers Musical Director.
“To see the way they were inspired when they sang - especially during the encore - was just fantastic”.
The Sedibeng Choral Society journeyed to Hackney as part of their first tour outside of Botswana and for many, it was their first trip outside south African country.
You may also want to watch:
More than 600 people watched the choir, who were followed by local group, Hackney Singers.
Hackney Singers Rep�titeur, Andrew Storey, put in an impressive performance on the organ, keeping pace with the fast rhythms and complex arrangements.
- 1 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 2 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 3 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 4 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 5 Covid-safe shared workspaces in Hackney on flexibility without formalities
- 6 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 7 Lockdown: Thirteen card players busted by police in Hackney social club
- 8 Stoke Newington School looks to raise £60K for student laptops
- 9 Homerton Hospital says 'stay home' after 'major incident' declared
- 10 Woman arrested over London Fields shooting that left innocent bystander paralysed
Mr Storey called the performance a “triumph” and “one of the best in the 20 years that I have been doing this”.