Breathtaking Traces at Sadler’s Wells Peacock Theatre
Modern circus showing at Sadler’s Wells
Slapstick comedy, breath-taking spectacle and awe-inspiring acrobatics – the traditional circus elements are all there in Traces, now showing at Sadler’s Wells Peacock Theatre.
But drum and base rhythms, skateboards and pole dancing deliver a twist on the traditional genre.
The four men and one woman who make up French-Canadian company Les 7 Doigts de la Main (The 7 Fingers) introduce themselves one-by-one, and we are drawn into their real lives through film clips, narration and music.
Perhaps what the likeable crew do best as a team are the dynamic flow of interweaving dances to hip-hop, blues or rock ‘n’roll music, using skateboards, chairs or balls as props.
You may also want to watch:
The pole manoeuvres, where some members of the cast plunge upside-down down the ten metre pole, stopping just centimetres before paralysis, is guaranteed to make your heart jump into your mouth.
Interesting use is made of film footage, using live film from above projected on the wall - exposing the patterns of movement they make while lying on the floor.
- 1 Delivery couriers boycott Dalston McDonald's
- 2 Two of the best boozers in Hackney, voted for by readers
- 3 Hackney acid attack: Man charged over 2019 assault which left two with life-changing injuries
- 4 Chinese dumpling house voted top restaurant by readers
- 5 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 6 Thousands oppose Stoke Newington Church Street bus gate
- 7 Hackney's field-to-fork cooking school opens in Lower Clapton
- 8 Hackney Wick's Lord Napier pub opens its doors after 26 years
- 9 'Food delivery' youth in suspect Shoreditch drugs bust
- 10 Stoke Newington eatery voted favourite café by Gazette readers
This pioneering brand of circus is sure to be a hit with all your family, and even my two-year old loved it.
The thrill-a-minute show leaves you longing to join the circus - what fun these guys must have in rehearsals.
Traces runs until Saturday October 30 at the Sadler’s Wells Peacock Theatre, Portugal Street, Holborn.
Performances run from Tuesday until Saturday at 7.30pm, with a Saturday matinee at 2.30pm and performance on Sunday at 4pm.
Tickets which are priced from �10 to �38, are half price for children.
To book call 0844 412 4322 or visit www.sadlerswells.com