Chinese pop sensation to sing in Hackney
A Chinese teenage pop sensation will make her UK solo debut in a Hackney theatre next week.
Fourteen-year-old DouDou is a huge hit in the Chinese charts, after making her name performing the theme song of the Beijing 2008 Olympics.
She is now one of the most famous Mandodpop – Mandarin popular music - artists in China. But her Hackney Empire concert will be the first time she has performed outside China on her own.
DouDou performed live on TV for Chinese New Year’s Eve celebrations in 2011, was named “Best New Artist” at the CCTV Awards (the Chinese equivalent to the MTV Awards) in 2010 and sung on a the 100-day countdown track for the Beijing Olympics as one of the 100 most popular Chinese, Taiwanese and Japanese singers.
Part of the Cultural Olympiad, the concert hopes to share Mandopop with a culturally diverse audience.
You may also want to watch:
DouDou is performing on August 8 at 8pm at The Hackney Empire, Mare Street, Hackney. Tickets start at �10 and are available from http://www.hackneyempire.co.uk/2785/shows/dou-dou-in-concert.html
- 1 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 2 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 3 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 4 'Betrayal of Tottenham Hotspur': fans slam European Super League plan
- 5 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 6 Hackney volunteers tend to Overground station gardens
- 7 Your Paper, Your Voice: We want to hear from you
- 8 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 9 Reopening week saw “record-breaking” days at pubs in Hoxton
- 10 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways