Chinese pop sensation to sing in Hackney
A Chinese teenage pop sensation will make her UK solo debut in a Hackney theatre next week.
Fourteen-year-old DouDou is a huge hit in the Chinese charts, after making her name performing the theme song of the Beijing 2008 Olympics.
She is now one of the most famous Mandodpop – Mandarin popular music - artists in China. But her Hackney Empire concert will be the first time she has performed outside China on her own.
DouDou performed live on TV for Chinese New Year’s Eve celebrations in 2011, was named “Best New Artist” at the CCTV Awards (the Chinese equivalent to the MTV Awards) in 2010 and sung on a the 100-day countdown track for the Beijing Olympics as one of the 100 most popular Chinese, Taiwanese and Japanese singers.
Part of the Cultural Olympiad, the concert hopes to share Mandopop with a culturally diverse audience.
You may also want to watch:
DouDou is performing on August 8 at 8pm at The Hackney Empire, Mare Street, Hackney. Tickets start at �10 and are available from http://www.hackneyempire.co.uk/2785/shows/dou-dou-in-concert.html
- 1 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 2 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 3 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 4 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 5 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 6 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 7 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 8 Lockdown: Thirteen card players busted by police in Hackney social club
- 9 Homerton Hospital says 'stay home' after 'major incident' declared
- 10 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service