Cockney knees-up and free football kick off Rich Mix summer season
A free 20-day festival of live music, DJs, films, art, food and football is included in the new summer season programme of events announced this week by Rich Mix cinema and arts centre in London’s East End.
The ‘East in East: Euro 2012 Festival’ is staged in June, a celebration linking Eastern European music, arts, culture and European Championship Football.
All matches are being shown free on a giant 15ft by 10ft screen, followed by live music or performances showcasing the best of London’s Eastern European talent.
Confirmed acts and events include Mahala Rai Banda, Csergo Band, Tania Tzarovska, Dash Caf�, London Liming Eastern European Special, Radio Gagarin, Muha, Igor Outkine’s Battleship Potemkin Rescore, Arhai, Shekoyokh, Monooka’s Caravan, Warsaw Village Band, Gadjo and Shtetl Superstars.
But Bethnal Green’s Rich Mix season kicks off the week after next with a right old cockney knees-up, when the ‘Best of British After-Party’ features music from The Coolness, a mix of theatrical pop rock and electronic music, on Friday, May 4.
You may also want to watch:
It is followed on Saturday, May 5, with ‘Love Music—Hate Racism’ which returns featuring Jerry Dammers (Ex-Specials), Zana Rose and Pandit G (DJ).
The following Saturday, May 12, sees ‘A Night of Afropolitan Divas’ featuring Somali legend Maryam Mursal and Eritrean-born singer Miryam Solomon.
- 1 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 2 Your Paper, Your Voice: We want to hear from you
- 3 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 4 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 5 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 6 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 7 Roads, Museum of the Home, Living Wage and child exploitation
- 8 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 9 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
- 10 Hackney resident urges women to consider careers in construction
Regular nights return over the summer. The coolest ping pong party on the planet, Pongathon, continues every other Tuesday of the month.
The season ends in July with two nights of brass, Breakn’ Brass on July 14, followed by Soul Rebels Brass Band on July 24.
Rich Mix is at 35-47 Bethnal Green Road: www.richmix.org.uk