Crate Brewery outline plans to raise £500,000 for major revamp of The White Building
- Credit: Archant
Crate Brewery is about to launch an ambitious crowd-funding campaign as they plan a major refurbishment of their canal-side home in Hackney Wick.
Home of limited edition beers and stone-baked pizzas since 2012, the Crate owners want to raise £500,000 as they look to take The White Building to the next level.
The campaign goes live on Thursday, February 28, with funds raised going towards the build of a new experimental brewery, an affordable workspace, an extended ground-floor bar and, most exciting of all, the opening of a new zero-waste restaurant.
“We plan to use the money to carry out major changes to The White Building,” explains director Tom Seaton, “which include partnering with award-winning chef Douglas McMaster to bring his celebrated Brighton restaurant, Silo, to London.”
He continues to say: “We managed to secure the lease for the building for 20 years in February 2018, and have been working on the designs and getting planning permission ever since!
You may also want to watch:
“It really all fell in to place when we met Douglas. He is the perfect partner to help us build a new amazing chapter and give the upstairs space a unique identity.”
Perched on the edge of the River Lea, Crate is a hit with crowds searching for some interesting brews by the water. The brand has its own range of drinks developed in their experimental brewhouse, with guest bottles and wines also on the menu.
- 1 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 2 Anti-lockdown and vaccination camp remains in Hackney Downs after a week
- 3 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
- 4 Hackney barber to Lebron James and Anthony Joshua has skills recognised
- 5 Homerton gardens renamed to sever slave trader ties and celebrate community hero
- 6 Elderly woman robbed of precious watch in daylight Finsbury Park incident
- 7 Upcoming Hackney and Islington road and rail disruptions
- 8 Sistah Space launches charity shop to help domestic abuse survivors
- 9 Police searching for rightful owners of 45 stolen bikes
- 10 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
The restaurant/bar also has a choice of eight pizzas priced between £9 and £13.
“On the ground floor, there will be an installation of a state-of-the-art pilot brewery, bringing more focus to small batches and unique beers available in the taproom,” adds Seaton.
“Outside, an amphitheatre-style seating area will be created, overlooking the canal which is such a focal point of the site.
“Then, upstairs, we will develop a new restaurant space with Silo. It’s a really exciting time for them, having been recently shortlisted for the World Restaurant Awards 2019.
“As well as Silo, Douglas will work with us to ensure that sustainability thrives throughout all areas of The White Building, including hosted workshops by Douglas in the new work space next door to the restaurant.”
The Crate team hope to have the first stages of the new building open by July, right in time for the peak of the summer. The workspace will also host a range of activities and talks on themes consistent with Crate’s passions: food, beer, art and culture.
“We could never have opened CRATE in 2012 without the help and support of Hackney Wick’s community back then, so to be able to create a new opportunity for the same community to be part of Crate and The White Building’s new chapter was really important for us.”