Elbow continue their quiet revolution with two nights at the O2
Elbow are the band that quietly took over the world as they hope to prove with two gigs at the O2 this month.
If global domination is slightly stretching the point, they have unquestionably become one of the nations’ most loved and successful bands.
But it hasn’t happened overnight.
Hailing from Bury, there was none of the instant adulation that nearby Mancunians Oasis received when they burst onto the scene.
But while Liam Gallagher starts at square one with his new band Beady Eye, Elbow’s lead singer Guy Garvey and bandmates will revel in their new-found status as national treasures at the O2 on March 28 and 29.
You may also want to watch:
It follows on from the critical and commercial success of 2008’s Mercury award-winning album The Seldom Seen Kid and will allow them to showcase their latest - Build A Rocket Boys!, including single Neat Little Rows.
Their humble beginnings shine through in their music, particularly on album track Jesus Is A Rochdale Girl based on a poem Garvey wrote to his first love.
- 1 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 2 Campaigners to protest at GP surgeries as outrage grows over US takeover
- 3 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 4 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 5 Hackney police commander calls on community to "play its part" in crime prevention
- 6 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 7 Newington Green's Meeting House to stream concert series for Mary Wollstonecraft's 262nd Birthday
- 8 Hackney restaurant exhibits local artists with new art space
- 9 Reopening week saw “record-breaking” days at pubs in Hoxton
- 10 Calls for black women's voices to also be heard in light of Sarah Everard death
But there shouldn’t be any fears that they won’t rise to the occasion.
Previous performances at Glastonbury show that anthems such as One Day Like This and Grace Under Pressure are tailor-made for big crowds.
Visit the o2.co.uk for tickets.