Wallpaper exhibit shares stories and memories from Hackney Brocals
- Credit: Ellie Doughty
A wallpaper exhibit based on the lockdown experiences of a Hackney social club is on display for Hackney Museum’s Collecting Covid archive.
Their last trip before lockdown to Chislehurst Caves, Kent in February 2020 became the inspiration for the custom wallpaper display called Out of the Man Cave.
The exhibit combines the wallpaper with testimonies written by Brocals members and "weaves together the men’s memories, histories and treasured possessions, to create a portrait of a year unlike any other".
The club was set up by local resident Anne-Marie Payne in 2018, and aims to combat loneliness in older men through regular meet-ups, trips, activities and supportive relationships with volunteers.
During the pandemic however, the club had to meet online on Zoom instead of in-person.
Payne said: "We got our volunteers to go and visit the Bros [Brocals] on their doorsteps and chat to them about what they did during lockdown. And then Angela combined their different objects and drawings of them into the wallpaper”.
The exhibit includes a written passage called ‘Hop-Picking Memories’, where John Payne, 68, shares that the worst part of lockdown for him was that he wasn’t able to do his weekly drive out to the hop fields down in Kent.
- 1 Apothecary: Japanese-inspired small plates combine with Shoreditch vibes
- 2 Man in 'life-threatening' condition after Hackney shooting
- 3 Mogwai added to All Points East after King Gizzard pull out for health reasons
- 4 Ongoing gas leak after fire and explosion in Shoreditch
- 5 Biggest 'shooting star' meteor shower to peak this week
- 6 Hackney brain tumour patient mum raises money for hospice
- 7 'Risk of injury' - Aldi recalls product due to safety fears
- 8 Hundreds of children strip searched by Met Police
- 9 Siegfried: 'An epic of loneliness and self-doubt'
- 10 Hospital trust bucks national trend by recruiting more UK medical staff
“It’s a different world down there,” he shared in the piece.
The group has resumed in-person activities and had plans to go to the Walthamstow Wetlands in November.
The project, which also offers free minibus driver training, relies on volunteers and is managed by City and Hackney Carers Centre
The group meets on Mondays at 2pm at Well Space community hub on Well Street.
The Out of the Man Cave exhibit will remain open at Hackney Museum until February 2022.
Learn more about Hackney Brocals at www.brocals.org
Find out more about Hackney Museum at hackney-museum.hackney.gov.uk