Food review: Chocolate Week at Gaucho, Picadilly
- Credit: Archant
If I tried adding some squares of Milky Way and a few drops of vanilla essence to my mash at home, I can only imagine the effect would send my kids retching.
But somehow executive dessert chef Pamela Villar has pulled off the concept of white chocolate and vanilla mash potato as part of a carefully crafted menu including chocolate in every course, marking chocolate week at Argentinean eatery Gaucho.
The potato perfectly compliments a main course of the most succulent pork belly and crackling, flavoured with a hint of fennel, alongside a side dish of yet more pork in a dark chocolate matambre, much like a slow cooked stew.
It’s common in South America to use chocolate in savoury dishes, and it’s not as sickly as it sounds as Ms Villar has managed to keep it subtle and just the right side of sweet.
My favourite course was the braised beef cheeks starter with lamb sweetbread popcorn in almonds and breadcrumbs, humita and chocolate jus.
You may also want to watch:
I can only now dream of the humita, a crushed creamy sweetcorn mash, which blended with the melt-in-your-mouth chocolate-infused beef.
Dessert presented yet another perfect harmony of textures, with a lemony white chocolate mouse and milk chocolate crumble, and a chocolate basket with almond praline and berries.
- 1 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 2 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
- 3 Anti-lockdown and vaccination camp remains in Hackney Downs after a week
- 4 Homerton gardens renamed to sever slave trader ties and celebrate community hero
- 5 £3m Hackney Central station revamp begins
- 6 Scenes from Ridley Road Market during lockdown captured by photographer
- 7 Hackney barber to Lebron James and Anthony Joshua has skills recognised
- 8 Calling anyone born on this day in 1982 for a documentary
- 9 Sistah Space launches charity shop to help domestic abuse survivors
- 10 Upcoming Hackney and Islington road and rail disruptions
The chocolate menu is only running for a limited period but if it’s anything to go by, it’s worth heading back to see what else Gaucho can conjure up.
From the moment you walk into its plush, darkly cavernous interior you feel like you’re basking in decadent opulence and the service from the charming staff there is top notch.
The Chocolate Menu is available at all 14 Gaucho restaurants in London, Manchester and Leeds, which all celebrated National Chocolate Week during from October 14-20.