Five-star Shoreditch hotel launches decadent sushi and Champagne menu
- Credit: Miyako
"Rakes have a song in their hearts, and their smiles give it away... be recklessly happy."
So goes a life directive set by the fictional character that the plush lounge bar, Rake's, at the five-star hotel Andaz in Shoreditch, is named after.
The new sushi and Champagne menu available there certainly does inspire feelings of recklessness and happiness - after all, it's scientifically proven the French fizz goes straight to your head, and makes you feel tipsy - fast.
In the plush setting of Rake’s Parlour, seated side by side on a cobalt chaise longue, my date and I shared a bottle.
There's an impressive list of 21 choices, starting at £70 for a Veuve Clicquot and going up to £300 for the Ruinart Magnum.
Meanwhile, the top quality sushi is handmade to order in the hotel's very own Japanese restaurant Miyako.
Its head chef, Kosei Sakamoto, has created a simple menu which focuses on fresh, authentic dishes, and works with suppliers to source ethically sourced fish.
- 1 Boy, 16, in custody after spate of sexual assaults in Hackney Marshes
- 2 8 charged after drugs raids in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 3 Cops hunt 'crucial' witness 'Sandra' who helped teen rape victim
- 4 Wanted: Suspect sought after series of sexual assaults in Hackney Marshes area
- 5 TfL worker launches petition to reinstate Finsbury Park to Edgware railway
- 6 Met defends Israeli police visit to Hackney
- 7 Pole thrown on railway tracks 'caused over 11 hours of delays'
- 8 The three strikes and protests hitting Hackney this week
- 9 Plea date set for teen charged with broad daylight stabbing
- 10 Hackney shooting: Appeal after 'weapons fight' in Lower Clapton
Items are priced individually from £3.50 for a single piece of sushi or sashimi, while a platter like the Miyako special - which includes nine nigiri, a maki and a uramaki roll - comes in at £26.50.
Rake's Parlour is laid back and yet stylishly luxurious.
Relaxing in its cavernous surroundings, adorned with lashings of red velvet and gold gilded mirrors against a background of funky, ambient music, we couldn't think of a better spot to go all out and enjoy the decadent duo.
The mid-17th century word 'rake' denoted a fashionable or wealthy man of immoral or promiscuous habits.
But the modern day version of a rake that the hotel imagines its clientele might emulate - as detailed on its website - is "of any gender, probably wealthy, and definitely fashionable - in their own way".
"Unembarrassed, unabashed, they are never afraid to tell you what they think, or show you how it's done," they add.
After a couple of glasses of Champagne and as inhibitions give way it becomes natural to live life on those terms - and the night was certainly one to remember.
The Champagne and sushi menu makes a perfect choice for a catch up or post work with friends, a celebratory occasion, or for the ultimate romantic date.
See bit.ly/3tE0lxm for more details.
Andaz, 40 Liverpool Street, London, EC2M 7QN.