Free entry to see Dalston-based comedian tonight
A Dalston-based comedian - who performs with a vacuum cleaner - is competing in tonight’s heat of a prestigious, long-running comedy competition.
Steve Aruni will appear with Henry the Hoover, in the fifth round of auditions for the New Act of the Year (NATY).
NATY has acted as an industry launch pad for the likes of Little Britain’s Matt Lucas, and stand up comedians Eddie Izzard, Russell Brand, Harry Hill and Stewart Lee.
The show used to be known as the Hackney Empire New Act of the Year, but the 29th final will be held at the Barbican instead of the Mare Street theatre, because of its closure and uncertain future.
Roland and Claire Muldoon founded NATY in the early 80s to encourage, discover and promote stand-up alternative comedy talent for the comedy circuit.
You may also want to watch:
Over 150 comedians have entered this year’s competition, and entrants must have performed for two years and have a recommendation from an established promoter.
Twelve acts will go through to the final at the Barbican on Saturday March 19 hosted by Arthur Smith.
- 1 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 2 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
- 3 Homerton gardens renamed to sever slave trader ties and celebrate community hero
- 4 Anti-lockdown and vaccination camp remains in Hackney Downs after a week
- 5 £3m Hackney Central station revamp begins
- 6 Calling anyone born on this day in 1982 for a documentary
- 7 Hackney barber to Lebron James and Anthony Joshua has skills recognised
- 8 Elderly woman robbed of precious watch in daylight Finsbury Park incident
- 9 Upcoming Hackney and Islington road and rail disruptions
- 10 Sistah Space launches charity shop to help domestic abuse survivors
Auditions run every Tuesday until March 8 at Rich Mix in Bethnal Green Road, Tower Hamlets, and Monday February 28 at Greenwich Theatre Bar, Crooms Hill, SE10, and Monday March 7 at Theatre Royal Stratford East.
Entrance to Rich Mix in Bethnal Green Road, Tower Hamlest tonight is free, the show starts at 7pm.