Galley, Upper Street: Glamorous fish restaurant serves sustainable catch
- Credit: galley
Glamorous fish restaurant Galley’s sublime winter menu is not to be missed.
The venue has been discretely tucked away in the centre of Upper Street for the past year – but the food is anything but modest.
Punchy plates include a venison steak tartare starter – an exquisite game-based take on the French classic (£11). Squid (£9.50) is gloriously crispy with an Asian chilli twist.
Even a humdrum sounding pumpkin velouté veggie option is made dynamite with a wild mushroom and blue cheese kick (£7).
Galley doesn’t come without its eco-credentials, and all fish is sustainably caught.
You may also want to watch:
For mains I opted for the roasted halibut. With a tinge of tarragon and saffron-infused potatoes (£25) it delivered on both the comforting factor and sophistication.
Other choices include pan-fried sea bass with gnocci and mushrooms (£19) and butternut squash ravioli (£16.50).
- 1 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 2 Campaigners to protest at GP surgeries as outrage grows over US takeover
- 3 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 4 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 5 Hackney police commander calls on community to "play its part" in crime prevention
- 6 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 7 Newington Green's Meeting House to stream concert series for Mary Wollstonecraft's 262nd Birthday
- 8 Hackney restaurant exhibits local artists with new art space
- 9 Reopening week saw “record-breaking” days at pubs in Hoxton
- 10 ‘We are still human’: homeless households speak out over living conditions
A sticky toffee pudding with praline and whisky sauce (£7) rounds off the meal nicely.
Founders of Galley, Polish-born brother and sister Marcel Grzyb and Oriona Robb, have a connection to the food trade that goes way back, with a grandfather who was the local village butcher and parents who owned restaurant, pizzeria and deli.
Oriona who is a stylist has made her mark on Galley’s lavish décor, with green velvet banquette seating, vintage rugs, Moroccan-style tiles and ambient lighting.