Hackney DJ Lucid Stannard brings disco to Oxjam Hackney
- Credit: Archant
Oxjam Hackney Festival raises money for Oxfam with music acts throughout the day in London Fields this weekend
Lucid Stannard is DJing at Oxjam Hackney’s London Fields festival this weekend. Living in Clapton via Haggerston, she runs Lucy’s Disco night at Queen of Hoxton and has a show at Netil Radio.
How do you find the music scene in Hackney?
I love it. I think it’s amazing. There’s a really nice community, that’s shown in the music community there, obviously with all the radio stations and local nights.
It has a really strong music scene and lots of people who are very, very passionate about what they do. Everyone there is on the same wavelength and everyone’s got that entrepreneurial spirit and creative spirit and music is such a big part of that.
You may also want to watch:
When and why did you start DJing?
I had so many of my friends that were doing it and I thought I could do that, I love music and I have so much I want to share. One day my friend was like: ‘Right you’ve got the tunes, you’re gonna play at my party’. And I was like: ‘Ok I’ll do it, when is it?’ This weekend! So I just tried to learn how to DJ in a week!
- 1 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 2 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 3 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 4 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 5 Covid-safe shared workspaces in Hackney on flexibility without formalities
- 6 Hackney author speaks out against stop and search
- 7 Homerton Hospital says 'stay home' after 'major incident' declared
- 8 Woman arrested over London Fields shooting that left innocent bystander paralysed
- 9 Hackney CEO to retire after 40 years in local government
- 10 Hackney Council cyberattack: Stolen data published on the dark web
Your night, Lucy’s Disco, sews together disco, afro, house and funk. What kinds of music do you like to work with most?
I love having my radio shows because I love being able to play music I wouldn’t be able to play out. Things that probably wouldn’t go down too well in the club but you can get away with playing on Wednesday morning! I guess I listen to a lot of afro beat and world music on my own, but I think nothing beats disco if you want to smile a bit
You were a stylist, but you don’t do this so much anymore…
I kind of fell out of love with the fashion industry. I’m really about being grateful for things and I think I realised that the whole point of the fashion industry is to want new things and not be happy with what you have – sort of the opposite to my ethos, I guess. I was styling musicians anyway so I kind of felt like I was in the music industry. It felt very natural to be in that scene and in amongst those people.
Lucid Stannard is playing at Oxjam Hackney music festival on October 1.