Five Things to do in Hackney and Islington this Autumn weekend
- Credit: © 2013 Mark Hewlett
Here are some great ways to spend your weekend (October 16-17) in Hackney and Islington.
Live and Laugh at the Empire with Phil Wang
Get ready to laugh your socks off at London’s biggest comedy night at Hackney Empire on Mare Street.
Headlining the event is one of the fastest rising stars in the industry, Phil Wang, who has his own Netflix stand-up show and a regular on Live at the Apollo. He is joined by Mawaan Rizwan, Lou Sanders and John Robins.
Tickets cost between £22-26.50 plus booking fee. Age 16+ only. Learn more at hackneyempire.co.uk/whats-on/live-at-the-empire-with-phil-wang/
Go for a guided walk around the border of Hackney and Islington
You may also want to watch:
Join a walking tour as the guide takes you through a boundary walk between the Hackney and Islington boroughs around the roads of Regent’s Canal, Finsbury, Shoreditch and the edge of the City in Moorfields.
You will see the City Livery Company’s history, ironworks, canal basins, Second World War devastation, the lost hospital quarters, a natural swimming pool and a medieval wall.
- 1 Drug dealer jailed for murder of Jay John after Dalston attack
- 2 Two taken to hospital and driver arrested after car flips in Hackney
- 3 New Aldi opens with help from Hackney pupils and Olympian
- 4 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 5 More developers could lodge proposals for Hackney Central site
- 6 ‘People hit the deck’ - Londoners stunned by fighter jet flyover
- 7 Five reasons why Dalston is one of the coolest places in the world
- 8 Planet Organic to open in Broadway Market despite thousands of signatures in protest
- 9 Woman battered Hackney Wetherspoons with axe as customers hid inside
- 10 The top FIVE Halloween events in Hackney and Islington
The walk starts at Rosemary Branch, Southgate Road on Sunday, October 17 at 11am and lasts two hours.
Tickets cost £15.
Follow an Autumn Trail with Hackney School of Food
‘Tis the season of pumpkins, so why not indulge in Hackney School of Food’s Autumn Trail and enjoy the taste of October.
Perfect for the kids, you can follow their interactive family-friendly story, meet exciting characters and solve clues as you wander through the gardens. There will be bouncy castles, tattoos on offer and a garden produce sale.
Free pumpkin soup and bread are included with every ticket, which costs £5 for an adult and £3 for a child. The event will be on Thursday, October 21 with three different time slots to choose from.
Tickets can be found at www.ticketsource.co.uk/hackneyschooloffood/school-of-food-autumn-trail-2021/e-lldaoe
Lose yourself in a lesson of art history
Art lovers, this is for you. Organised by the Viktor Wynd Museum & The Last Tuesday Society, Phil Baker will be delivering a rich lecture on the biography of artist Austin Osman Spare (1886-1956).
Baker’s talk offers “wide-ranging insights into Spare’s art, mind and world, reconnecting him with the mainstream art history that ignored him and exploring his parallel London.”
The lecture will be delivered on Zoom on Sunday, October 17 from 8-10pm. Tickets cost between £5.82-11.04.
Gimme, gimme, gimme…ABBA night 02 academy Islington
The excitement of ABBA’s reunion continues at this Club de Fromage party at 02 Academy Islington on Saturday. October 16. Dress as your favourite ABBA member and get ready for sing-alongs, hula-hooping and classic ABBA clips across the screen.
Tickets start at £7 with table packages starting from £100.
Find out more at www.fatsoma.com/e/otxzavad/club-de-fromage-mamma-mia-it-s-abba-night