Hackney musician in Gigs Big Busk competition grand final this weekend
- Credit: Archant
A five month search for fresh musical talent will reach its climax this weekend as 18 acts take to the stage for the grand final of a busking competition.
The Mayor of London’s Gigs Big Busk is the UKs biggest annual street music competition and has attracted over 500 young musicians, singers and groups aged 11 to 25.
It gives the contestants the opportunity to perform all over the city in landmark locations and compete for a host of music prizes.
The competition has been whittled down to just 18 finalists who will all perform in the grand final at Westfield Stratford City on Sunday, including Hackney indie musician Jazz Mino.
The quirky odd-shoe-wearing singer songwriter performs with a live band and can usually be found gigging around Shoreditch and Hoxton.
You may also want to watch:
However, this weekend she will be singing to a wider audience at Westfield Stratford City in the groups category of the competition.
The finalists will play live from midday to 6pm when a winner will be crowned Gigs Champion 2014 by a panel of industry judges.
- 1 Prospect of £10K fine after Stamford Hill wedding
- 2 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 3 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 4 Police seize lock and 'Rambo-style' knifes in London Fields
- 5 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 6 Hackney ‘poised’ to undertake school closures after drop in pupil numbers
- 7 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 8 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 9 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 10 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
Some of the prizes up for grabs include a licence to busk on the Tube, a trip Paris where they can busk around the French capital and the chance to play at the Matala Beach Festival in Crete.