Hackney musician in Gigs Big Busk competition grand final this weekend
- Credit: Archant
A five month search for fresh musical talent will reach its climax this weekend as 18 acts take to the stage for the grand final of a busking competition.
The Mayor of London’s Gigs Big Busk is the UKs biggest annual street music competition and has attracted over 500 young musicians, singers and groups aged 11 to 25.
It gives the contestants the opportunity to perform all over the city in landmark locations and compete for a host of music prizes.
The competition has been whittled down to just 18 finalists who will all perform in the grand final at Westfield Stratford City on Sunday, including Hackney indie musician Jazz Mino.
The quirky odd-shoe-wearing singer songwriter performs with a live band and can usually be found gigging around Shoreditch and Hoxton.
You may also want to watch:
However, this weekend she will be singing to a wider audience at Westfield Stratford City in the groups category of the competition.
The finalists will play live from midday to 6pm when a winner will be crowned Gigs Champion 2014 by a panel of industry judges.
- 1 How Homerton Hospital staff took on the virus in the first year of Covid
- 2 'They don't care,' says Hackney family living in mould-infested property
- 3 Hackney Wick bar and restaurant opens with Two More Years to go
- 4 Crowdfunder for Prodigy's Keith Flint mural to raise mental health awareness
- 5 Legendary east London graffiti pub to reopen after 26 years
- 6 New traffic measures as school brings pupils onto a single site
- 7 Stamford Hill North and Shoreditch hardest hit during Covid waves
- 8 Letter: Facilities needed to make LTNs work
- 9 Call for spare rooms and properties to help homeless people off the streets
- 10 Jailed: Cyclist who rode off after fatal collision with 'gentleman', 72
Some of the prizes up for grabs include a licence to busk on the Tube, a trip Paris where they can busk around the French capital and the chance to play at the Matala Beach Festival in Crete.